Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Susie9903

Default dislikes in St. Petersburg cruise

has anyone been to St. Petersburg and did not like it?
Is there another chat room at a different web site to meet people who I can talk with?
Also the all the ports that the ships go to that include St. Petersburg.
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong
Default Re: dislikes in St. Petersburg cruise

We loved it! The only drawback was the failure of Peter the Great to fully Westernize the population to the point of fluency in any western European language. All the inscriptions in the museums were in Cyrillic (a few were in German, which would have been handy if the Great Patriotic War had gone the other way), and few of the locals spoke anything but Russian, all the more reason to hire a local tour guide. Ours did a great job taking us to a Russian liquor store and loading us up with necessaries for our cabin. We had no problem in bringing the bottles aboard, but if you're concerned that the ship might confiscate them, bring an extra bottle of vodka back for the security officer!
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Andee

When I read this, "All the inscriptions in the museums were in Cyrillic and few of the locals spoke anything but Russian", I thought how easily you could apply this to the US: "All the inscriptions in the museums were in English and few of the locals spoke anything but English." I guess we're not all that user friendly here either.
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Vall

Default Re: Re: dislikes in St. Petersburg cruise

Thank You,Andee!
As a professional local English-speaking guide in St.Pete working with Americans most of the time I'm totally agree with You.And,I'm proud to be Russian.
And,I'm proud to speak English fluently!!!!!!
Take care and Welcome !!!!
Sincerely,Val
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

I guess I'm just spoiled by Western Europe, where English tends to be a commonly-encountered second language. All the more reason to hire a licensed tour guide! Val - what company (or companies) would you recommend to Susie? This board tends to be dominated by Red October fans!
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Dogpark

Glad to hear so many good things about St Petersburg (barring writing in Cyrillic....lol!). My wife and I are taking Celebrity's 14 day Baltic Cruise this May (8-22) on "Constellation", and will have a 2 day port call in St Petersburg. For us, I think it will be the highlight of our adventure, and we are looking to find out as much about our opportunities BEFORE we embark on the ship. I'm typically the type that likes to "do it on my own", but am a bit leery about not knowing the language, and having to deal with Visa issues. I'd prefer to be a little "cost conscious", and avoid the rip-off.....er, excursions offered by the cruise line. Any advice/pointers (tours, places to see, ways to save a few $$) you guys could pass our way would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

Alan
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:49 AM
ThomasEU

We have corresponded with DenRus and are very pleased with what they offer. We will be going with them for a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg in August.
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Dogpark

Thanks Thomas. I'll look up their site online today and send them an email requesting information.

Alan