Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:55 AM
GeorgeS

Default Visa requirements for Scandinavia/Russis/Baltic Cruise

We are planning to take the 10 day Grand Princess Scandinavia/Russia/Baltic cruise which calls at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Gdansk and Warnemunde.

Do we need any special visas to enter and tour any of these countries? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Visa requirements for Scandinavia/Russis/Baltic Cruise

Hi George,

It is our understanding that we will require visas to enter Russia unless we are part of an approved (by the Russian Gov't.) tour group. We plan to tour St. Pete during our cruise this summer, either with a group sponsored by our ship or with a recognized local tour agency such as Red October. If you do a search on this forum, you can probably find more information on this subject.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:23 PM
juliejoe

GeorgeS,

When will you be on the Grand? We're on the 8/17 sailing. Kimjack is correct - visas are not required for any ports except for St. Petersburg. If you tour with a shore excursion from the ship, or with a company like Red October, they get a group visa. You only need a visa if you tour there on your own.

Lots of baltics itinerary information to be found on cruisecritics.com message boards. Go to ports of call and then baltics.

Julie
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:37 PM
GeorgeS

Default Re: Re: Visa requirements for Scandinavia/Russis/Baltic Crui

Julie,

Thanks for the information. We're travelling on the Grand on 7/18. Taking the kids (Girl/15 and Boy/17). Hope they will have some company.

Have a great trip.
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Charmaine

My husband and I are on the Grand, June 28th. From what I gather from the various bulleting boards, no visa's are required. St. Petersburg is another story. You must either take the land tour through the cruise line or go through an independent tour company. If you go through a local company i.e. Red October or Denus (sp?) you fall under their umbrella with regard to the visa. You are not allowed to set foot on Russian soil without your own visa or under the umbrella of someone else's i.e. ship/independent tour company. See site "cruisecritic" for all kinds of additional information. They also have a Baltic ports site. We are using Red October and through them are planning our trip and making minor adjustments to the itinerary they sent us. All the information I have obtained is that they are 1/2 the price of the cruise ship. Good luck.

Charmaine
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

Russia raised the price of its visas to $125, in retaliation to the American Embassy charging Russians who want to apply for a visa to visit the States. And if you need it faster than 6 weeks, you'll have to pay extra. Assuming that it'll cost you $250 a couple just to get off the ship to have a look around, you might as well pay a tour guide the money and avoid the visa. Better yet - team up with four other passengers and share the cost of a Red October tour guide and van driver. Here's a tip - bring a couple of colorful decals to slap on the exterior your van - all the vans over there look alike, and it was a game to try to spot our van among the dozens of white vans waiting in the parking lots.

Also, make sure your passport is up to date - there are inspectors at St Pete who will give you and your passport a serious going-over before letting you off and back on the ship.
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Susie9903

Hi George,
When are you going on the grand? My husband and myself are going on June 18th and are looking for some people to share a tour with us using Red October tour Company.
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:25 PM
GeorgeS

Default Re: Re: Visa requirements for Scandinavia/Russis/Baltic Crui

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. We're going to be on the July 18 sailing of the Grand Princess so unfortunately we won't be able to share a trip with you.
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM
iris

Hi wE ARE doing the same tour. Grand Princess 5-19-04. Are you on this cruise. We are getting a visa since we are going to Moscow. If you do St. Petersburgh through Princess they have a blanket visa. We booked most of our tours with Princes. Love to hear from you.
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM
AR

We're going to some of those places in May on Celebrity. Today in the mail came a booklet with DETAILED and authorotative information on the questions you've asked.

Why not ask Princess if they will be supplying similar information for your cruise? I'm quite sure they will do this in a timely way. In the meantime, just be sure your passports will not expire until at least six months beyond the ending day of the cruise. Otherwise, get them renewed.

If your cruise is earlier than mid-May or so, you should call Princess now for definitive answers to your questions. Ask them why they haven't coughed up the details before now.
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:19 PM
kitcat

Iris,

We're going on May 19, Grand Princess. I'll see you on the ship. Let me know about the Moscow trip. Mom wanted to go there but did not want to get a visa. We're just taking the tour with the ship.
Have fun.

Kitcat
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Sharyne

I just received a faxed application from the Russian Consulate in NY and the charge for a single entry tourist visa is $100 pp, not $125, according to the general information sheet they sent me. They estimate 6 to 10 business days to process.

Sharyne