Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Moni

Default which airline??

I'm a bit nervous about spending such a long time in an airplane as it is, however....
I'm totally at a loss about which airline to use to get me from here to England. Delta?? British Air with their terrorist cancelled flights, Air France ditto to their flights?? Luftansa?? The Germans never let anything happen to them..??? Please, any thoughts, opinions, etc. are very welcome...
Any seasoned fliers, I would love to hear "coping" techniques for being on a plane for such a long time.
thanks,
Moni
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:06 PM
AR

Default Re: which airline??

Any airline you fly will get you there just fine. You should shop price and convenience. You gain nothing in trying to measure them individually against your fears.

Coping? Well, it probably does you little good for me to tell you how many million miles I've flown or that I sometimes fall asleep before takeoff.

One of our sons is an airline pilot and I've never lost a wink of sleep worrying about him--even when he was just learning to fly. If you were to talk to him he'd probably remind you that he's sealed up in that contraption too, and his own self-preservation instincts are the same as yours. Therefore, he fully intends to see that the number of landings exactly equals the number of takeoffs for his whole career. I'd fly to the end of the earth with him and with his colleagues (come to think of it, over 35 years I pretty much have).

Then there's the story about an old college friend of mine. He and his wife flew to Florida the other day to spend some time at their home down there. After an uneventful flight, a car service met them at the airport to drive them to the house. Soon after they got on the highway the driver had some sort of seizure and lost control of the car. His wife has a broken hip. Brian will be buried tomorrow.

I love your comment about nothing ever happening to Lufthansa. I once flew them from Frankfurt to Sofia, Bulgaria. Upon landing in Sofia the nose gear collapsed. The pilots had no problem stopping the plane and nobody was hurt. But it was ironic because on previous trips to Sofia I had flown the state airline, Balkan, and had not been impressed with their operations. I was pleased to be going on Lufthansa this time, because, heck, nothing ever happens to them.

Life's a funny old cuss. There's not much percentage trying to outguess things. Or as the old saying has it. . ."Do not distress yourself with imaginings."
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I'd go with American if the price is right. They give you a lot more room than most other carriers.
Old March 7th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Admiral

We've flown both British and US Air business class to London (from Miami and Orlando), but I must say that Virgin Atlantic coach class gets our nod when it comes to great service, amenities and food. I know that sounds a bit strange, but our Orlando-London flights on Virgin in 2000 were absolutely the best (for the least) that we've taken to Great Britain.

Living on the east coast, we don't think of flying across the Atlantic as being a "long" flight. We've both flown to the Far East many times, so a "hop across the pond" to Europe doesn't phase us at all any more. Go ahead, because the safety records of most airlines are very much in your favor. Relax and enjoy your flights, and the rest of your vacation as well. As for techniques, I read a best seller and the time simply flies by.<S>

Jack

Post Edited (03-07-04 18:40)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Moni

Thanks for the responses!! My daughter will be with me----the wise 19 year old--- and she's flown to London before. She assures me I'll be fine....
Now all I have to worry about is terrorists......
Can anyone tell how much I travel?
Moni