Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Passenger

Default Has anyone done a river cruise?

Doing one of these interests me, particularly France or the Danube with Budapest as a beginning or ending. Does anyone know a reasonable, cost-wise, way of doing these? I keep checking prices and they are pricey! Could I book through a friend in Budapest or France and get a deal? And, more importantly, what are the river cruises like? Do you feel you get enough time in each stop?

Monarch of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, 2/01
Infinity, Southern Caribbean, 2/02
Nordic Empress, Western Caribbean, 2/04

Norwegian Majesty, Bermuda

Veendam, Western Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Captain

Default Re: Has anyone done a river cruise?

Haven't been on one yet (my husband and I are in our early 40's and like to go-go-go in Europe), but I think we will sooner or later after we slow down a bit just to do something different, so I keep looking. Uniworld's prices look pretty good (they include air). Also, about 6 months ago, our local paper had an article on canal cruises in the UK that looked really neat. Said the scenery looked like a Thomas Kinkade painting. You rent those narrow house boats and get out and work the locks yourself! So much to see over there . . . .

I'll be watching your post to see what info you receive.
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

luv2cruise,

You're right about the canal narrow boats in the UK. Also, there is a district known as the Norfolk Broads situated in East Anglia (the round bit on the east coast just north of London) This area has a wide expanse of rivers and a lot of Brits go there for their summer vacations hiring a river cruise (not a narrow boat) for a week or two. My wife and I did this two years ago. The cost of the cruiser which sleeps four was about $900 a week in September. On top of that you've only got spending costs really.

The scenery is OUT of this world. Beautiful beyond belief with wild life all over the place. You meet loads of people and you moor up at night and then the local hostelries are a great place to go and sample local delicacies (including the ducks you just fed earlier in the day!!! j/k ).

If you can steer a wheel-barrow, you can steer one of the boats. No tuition is required other than a 5 minute ' this is how you do it' familiarisation.

Ideal for artists, fishermen, wild life enthusiasts, those seeking a quiet time and kids too.

Cruise your own way...........

Pete :o)
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Has anyone done a river cruise?

Wow--sounds awesome! Another trip to add to my wish list.

Thanks so much for the info, and best wishes to you in your travels.

Donna
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

For self drive boating holidays in the UK and Europe check out http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/ or www.blakes.co.uk (which has better maps)

Nb. the Norfolk Broads are split into the Northern and Southern Norfolk Broads (complicated - I know!!!) Anyway, to get from north to south, you need to go through the town of Great Yarmouth. Because the tide rises and falls about 15 feet in the narrow part of the river here, you have to catch it at low tide so that you can get under the bridges. And, to add to it, get there too early and you'll wreck the top of the boat or - you'll get caught in a strong current and you can't turn around because the river's too narrow at that point!!!! So - if the tide is going out and your're going from North to South you're in a one way rip at about 12 knots. Going from south to north and still with the tide going out, you're going at a snail's pace because you're 'full ahead' trying to beat a current of about 7 knots!!!!. Switch this around and the tide coming in and it's all vice versa!!!!

Great fun to plan. Hair raising in it's execution!!!!!!!!

To help you plan it :- http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/b...ges/pic105.htm
and
http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.cox/riverbure4.htm

and if that isn't enough, try getting your boat through this bridge at Potter Heigham.

http://www.jshilling.freeserve.co.uk...e_1998_jpg.htm

Now, THAT's low!!!!!

Pete :o)
(Who chickened out of doing Potter Heigham bridge for some reason........)
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Has anyone done a river cruise?

Hi Pete,

Thanks for all the detailed information and the sites. I've checked them out, and there's a lot of great info. I also had a small taste of the beautiful scenery that you referenced. We appreciate the time you took to gather the info and wish you the best in your travels.

Donna
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:16 PM
James Umbarger Jr

We spent 5 days on the Nile River in Egypt September 2002 plus 5 days in Ciaro. The trip was something we will always remember.

We have sailed in the caribean 5 times but Egypt was the most interesting time we have ever had.

Jim Umbarger Jr
umbarger@ameritech.net