Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2004, 05:45 PM
James Umbarger Jr

Default Venice Italy

My wife and I are disembarking from the Star Princess on October 7th and want to stay in Venice two nights.

Any help about Hotels, problems getting from boat to plane etc would be welcome.

We are 70 years old

Jim Umbarger Jr
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM
AR

Default Re: Venice Italy

Last time in Venice we enjoyed the Cavaletto E Doge Orseolo which is located directly behind St. Mark's Square at 1107 Piazza San Marco. For a popularly priced hotel, it couldn't be more convenient, since it's literally just steps to the square. The rooms are simple, but just fine, the staff friendly and helpful. In addition to the square itself, the hotel faces the major "marina" for the city's gondolas. It is fun while eating your (very decent included) breakfast to watch the gondoliers preparing for the day (and lining up their jobs on their cell phones). One entrance to the lobby opens on this lagoon, so you can step into or out of a water taxi with your luggage directly into the hotel. Nice touch, and very convenient.

There's a boat from the airport to town, but sometimes the canal is closed and it isn't running. There's also a bus that will deposit you at the carpark near the train station at the head of the Grand Canal, from which you can catch the vaporetto (water bus) to San Marco or wherever you're going. As long as you're reasonably mobile, buy the multi-day ticket for the vaporetto. It's the easiest way to get around. It's a fairly close-in airport.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:36 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Venice Italy

Just reread your message and realize that you'll want to go from your hotel TO the airport. Probably best to take a water taxi from your hotel to the car park, then the bus or a cab.
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Jim,
In Jan. I stayed at the Hotel Malibran. Quaint, clean, reasonable and very centrally located near the Rialto Bridge. Their email is info@malibran.it. From there we just took the #82 Vapaporetta water bus to Plaza Romalle and caught a city bus directly to the airport. Don't miss the Friari Church in the Academia area. Just wander. It is the easiest city in the world to get around in.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:59 PM
James Umbarger Jr

I appreciate your information, after looking long and hard, I settled on the Hotel Campiello, on C Del Vin street very near the S. zaccaria boat area and Piazza S. Marco. I hope I made the right decision as my wife can't walk far, she is 70 years old with a bad back. Wish us luck.

Jim umbarger Jr.
umbarger@ameritech.net
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Venice Italy

Hi James,

I don't have experience with the hotel you referenced (my favorite is the Hotel Metropole on the Riva degli Sciavoni, second favorite is Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal), but I think that you will really enjoy staying in that area. It's absolutely beautiful.

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM
RKWeber

We are taking a Hollna dAmerica cruise next month and will be staying in Venice for nights afterwards. Stay in touch and I will let you know how we fare. We sail April 25 for 12 days, then in Venice for 2 nights.
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Passenger

Hi,
We will be on your cruise,holland america april 25.Do you have any idea on the cost of a taxi from theairport to the port ?

Three 1st time cruisers
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:14 PM
Jean Veronica

We are taking the May 7th sailing of the Westerdam that you are taking on April 25th!
We are staying the night of May 6th in the Hotel Santa Chiara, which we understand is on the Grand Canal and can be reached by car taxi or water taxi. After the cruise, we will spend a night at the same hotel or if we are not satisfied, will check out other hotels while in Venice pre-cruise.

Wish that we were still here to hear how you enjoy the maiden cruise of the Westerdam!
We will be leaving for Venice on May 5th.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Jean
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Two Seattle Guys

Hi. a friend of mine and I are also going on the April 25th cruise from Venice on the Westerdam.
We are also staying 2 nights in Venice at the end of the cruise.
We are staying at the Apostoli Palace Hotel.
How are you planning on returning to the airport from your hotel.
Our flight leaves very early in the morning so we are trying to figure out a good yet cost effective way to get to the airport.
Also, does anyone know if we need a visa for Turkey, Kusadasi is one of the ports.

Thanks
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Jean Veronica

I e-mailed the Venice Airport information and have included their reply to me below.
I don't know the location of your hotel and if this applies to you. The hotel that we are using can be reached by land or water taxi or the airport bus. The ATVO bus has direct connection from the airport to Piazzale Roma and takes 20 minutes; buses leave every half hour. The ticket costs 3 euro and includes luggage. The buses leave outside the arrivals area on the right. You might go to www.atvo.it. for more information and schedules. I also got lots of info from http://www.turismoveneziz.it.

No, you do not need a visa for Turkey as it is just a one day cruise visit.

Hope this helps .

Jean

The e-mail from Alilaguna a water transportation company reads:

The best way to arrive from the Airport to Piazzale Roma (very close to the hotel Santa Chiara) is to take the ATVO or the ACTV land bus, is available one bus every half hour and the journey takes only 20 minutes. The land bus to Piazzale Roma lives just outside the arrivals room.
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Jean Veronica

I e-mailed the Venice Airport information and have included their reply to me below.
I don't know the location of your hotel and if this applies to you. The hotel that we are using can be reached by land or water taxi or the airport bus. The ATVO bus has direct connection from the airport to Piazzale Roma and takes 20 minutes; buses leave every half hour. The ticket costs 3 euro and includes luggage. The buses leave outside the arrivals area on the right. You might go to www.atvo.it. for more information and schedules. I also got lots of info from http://www.turismoveneziz.it.

No, you do not need a visa for Turkey as it is just a one day cruise visit.

Hope this helps .

Jean

The e-mail from Alilaguna a water transportation company reads:

The best way to arrive from the Airport to Piazzale Roma (very close to the hotel Santa Chiara) is to take the ATVO or the ACTV land bus, is available one bus every half hour and the journey takes only 20 minutes. The land bus to Piazzale Roma lives just outside the arrivals room.