Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:53 PM
jdell

Default Mediterranean Question

For anyone who has experience cruising the Mediterranean--how are the seas with respect to motion. We are sailing on the QM2 this summer and I'm trying to get myself fully prepared for the motion (medication and all). I know it's usually dry (and hot!) but are the waters that rough??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Ted C

Default Re: Mediterranean Question

We had some high winds and large waves one day on our Med cruise last October on the Oosterdam.

Livorno port was closed for a few hours so docking there was delayed.

The ship rode very well and we never felt any discomfort.. My wife generally takes one Bonine each day as a preventative. I generally rely on the ginger the YUM YUM man on HAL hands out after dinner.

We are going on a sistership, the Westerdam, on a different Med itinerary this May as a result of the wonderful experience we had on the O.
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Dogpark

jdell,

Alot of it depends on what time of the year you cruise the Med. My wife and I did a cruise on Millenium last June ('03), and we couldn't have picked better weather. It was my first cruise, and I was a bit worried about motion, so I stocked up on dramamine ahead of tim. I couldn't have been more pleased with the voyage, however. The seas were COMPLETELY flat, and the motion was BARELY perceptible. It was ironic that we were well out into the Med before I realized we'd departed the first port (Barcelona). Throughout the course of the cruise, I never had ANY ill effects from the weather/sea state, and returned home with my dramamine contain full.....:-)

Best of luck!
Alan
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Judy S.

Go online to the Sharper Image catalog, they have a motion sickness wristband, it is a little pricey ($110.00) but it really works. I use to take the Bonnie, but is makes you drowsey, this way you can turn it off and on as needed.

Good luck.
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Kiddo

Check out these wrist bands, they only cost $ 10 and do not need batteries. they are 100% resuasble and work very well and there are no drugs in them.
The company is in Canada, but I had the company send them to me and paid $25 for 3 pairs , they paid the postage. very easy to deal with.
the web site I ordered through is
www.travelband.com
try it, they really worked for us. My wife even wears them now to get relief from her morning sickness. and my son wears them in the schoolbus every day.
hope it works for you, as we and our friends will not use drugs if there are alternatives working just as well or better.
good luck to you