Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Default Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere

Any help/advice you can give me would be much appreciated! We've decided not to go to Paris (would love to go but the 6-hour drive to have 4 hours there seems like too much for me. We'd like to avoid the ship excursions in order to cut costs. Can anyone tell me about how to get to Bayeux, Caen, Rouen, Deauville, Treauville or Honfluer by train or bus? If so, how do you get to the station? We are able to walk several miles. How long are the trips? How much French language do you need to navigate this process?

Also, if you have other recommendations on places we could go on our own from Le Havre - that would be lovely!

Thanks!

Post Edited (04-03-04 19:29)
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Mary Ann

Default Re: Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere

Two years ago 4 of us took a cab from the train sstation to Honfleur. It is a wonderful little town. One person spoken broken French and we got along ok. The cab driver waited while we looked around and had lunch. The train station is just a few blocks from the pier. Have also used trains in France and they are easy to navigate. You can get around even if you don't speak French, Hope this helps
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks!
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere

Hi Pie,

About two years ago, I went with 4 other passengers from my ship (my husband is a WWII buff and went on the Normandy tour) to the villages of Honfleur, Deauville, and Treauville by taxi tour. The taxis were waiting in the port, and it was a WONDERFUL tour! It cost about $50 each U.S., and the taxi driver was with us all day (about 8 hours). We ate lunch outside in the harbor, so that was extra and we paid separately. I thouroughly enjoyed this option (we've been to Paris several times) and can't recommend it highly enough.

Hope you have a great time,
Donna
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Potter

I'd like to visit Mont Saint Michel from Le Havre very much.... It looks just fantastic on the photos. But it looks like a long way from Le Havre, and besides the RCI's excursion there doesn't visit Honfleur which is right on the route to Mont Saint Michel. Has anyone an experience taking a private excursion/taxi excursion/car rental to MSM and Honfleur from Le Havre on a cruise?