Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Charolotte Miskin

Default Transportation Heathrow to Dover

Any suggestions for transport between Heathrow and Dover? We have no idea and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you very much,
Charolotte
cmiskin@msn.com
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:25 PM
AR

Default Re: Transportation Heathrow to Dover

There are trains every half hour or so from both Victoria and Charing Cross.

There are also plentiful busses from Victoria Coach (at far lower prices than the cruise lines charge for their transfers).
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Dogpark

My wife and I took the Cruise line's transfer option (as a matter of convenience, upon arriving jet-lagged), but the transit opportunities abound (as mentioned by AR). Post cruise, we'll be taking the train from Dover, up to Victoria Station, then hopping "the tube" (subway) over to Heathrow (a straight shot). The transportation system over there is a breeze, and is certainly a more affordable option than what the line can offer. I've got a link for the rail carrier that operates the line between Dover and Victoria, and will post it for you once I have access to my home computer. Good luck, and enjoy the trip!

Alan
Old April 10th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Kazzrie

Have you received any replies yet? I too am looking for alternative transportation from HEathrow to Dover.

Thanks,
Kazzrie
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Transportation Heathrow to Dover

Hi,

We did the Baltic cruise last August -- Dover to Stockholm. A lot of the people on line had good luck with two private drivers -- Steve Knibbs -- nibbs@airport-transfers.fsnet.co.uk or steve@airport-transfers.fsnet.co.uk The other one is Eddie Manning at eddie@limo.co.uk -- website: www.limo.co.uk

You might be able to pick up someone to share the ride on this website and cruisecritic.com.
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:54 PM
mateli from quebec City,C

Hi! The best way to go to Dover is the train,youi can see the countryside of England , you have more space to move than on a bus. Have a nice cruise.
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Sharyne

We are 4 people and have booked Tours of the Realm for the transfer from London to Dover. Their prices are very good and if you're a small group it's much more convenient. Their email is Tours of the Realm <enquiries@toursoftherealm.com> They can also do a countryside side trip with lunch at a pub, on the way, if there's time.

BTW, I found them from a recommendation on I think this board.

Sharyne
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Linda Nell

you can call Der Tours for train schedules & fares at 1-800-782 2424. I called yesterday & found I will take a tube for $5 from Heathrow to Victoria station & either a bus or train (($74 US) from there to Dover for the train. Not cheap. Still looking please post anything you find. Thanks. Linda
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Linda Nell

Found another souce of train fares & time tables at www.nationalrail.co.uk Good Luck
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Captain

Linda, you were given misinformation about the cost of the train from Victoria Station to Dover. I've taken this train for cruises about 10 times, and the cost you were quoted is 3-4 times what we paid for train fare. This is the link that I have used for train schedules in Europe for years and have found it to be easy to use and realiable: http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fa...ules/index.htm. I think the $47 fare there is roundtrip because it seems like we paid about 30 pounds roundtrip last May. You do not need to purchase tickets in advance, and the trains actually run more frequently than the schedule shown here because there are a number of routes to take to Dover, and you don't have to change trains.

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Dogpark

You're pretty much right on, Donna. I had been emailed the national rail link by a friend in London, and she advised me that the trains run SO frequently that there really isn't any reason to prebook. Additionally, the rates are more along the line you quoted. It's been a few months since I looked them up, but I was thinking it was something along the lines of 25 pounds (roughly $45) for a one-way ticket. Don't quote me, but that seems closer than the $74 that Linda posted.

Alan
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:00 PM
TedC

Dogpark,

Your plan can work but it isn't exactly a "straight shot" from Victoria
Station to Heathrow on the Tube.

Victoria is on the Circle and District lines.

Your have to transfer from either of those lines to the Piccadilly line at South Kensington, Gloucester Road or Earl's Court to get to Heathrow.

It can be done, but there are usually at least some stairs to be negotiated in the Tube stations, which could be difficult, depending on how much and how mobile your luggage is.

Good luck
Old April 17th, 2004, 10:52 PM
AR

That's right, and transferring on the tube can be frustrating even if you have no luggage. That's mostly because the system is so old and has grown like topsy. Different lines tend to come in at different levels; there may or may not be escalators/elevators for the entire vertical journey. And the horizontal journeys can also be imposing at some stations.

Research would be in order to figure out the best transfer station.
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Dogpark

Ted & AR,

Thanks a bunch for the tidbit . I'd actually just been giving a simplistic synopsis for how to manage the trek from Heathrow to Dover.....and hadn't meant to get overly technical unless Charlotte had reqested such. Having been stationed in the UK for 2 years, I can still recall all the little nuances/hassles of travelling the tube, particularly if it involves transferrs to/from train lines. For out upcoming trip, the wife and I will catch the train back up to Victoria from Dover, hop the tube over to Earl's Court, where we'll spend an extra evening (prior to departing the next morning). From there, its a quick hop on the tub line for the ride to Heathrow. Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle hauling luggage up/down to/from the trains, but it's really no different from the metro in the DC area.....!! All you have to know is "mind the gap"......haha!!
Old April 27th, 2004, 02:23 AM
chip brady

We will be docking back in Dover on May 25th. We have been trying to find some one to share a ride to Heathrow. It is 75.00 each if we have the cruise line take us, but that is cheaper than I have been able to find by van or taxi

Chip Brady cb2052@wavecable.com
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:54 AM
cmiskin

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. As it turned out, the B&B where we will be staying has arranged for transportation from Heathrow. If that had not happened, we would have taken the train.
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:09 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

You might want to e-mail thie guy.
nibbs@airport-transfers.fsnet.co.uk
I will be using him in Sept. to go from Gatwick to Windsor.
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try
cars@airporttransfers.biz

We went from Heathrow to Harwich - then from Harwich to our hotel, and then from the hotel back to Heathrow.

Prices:

for an eight seater from Heathrow to Harwich with trailer is 253.75 if you book the return there is a ten percent discount,total for both transfers 507.50 minus discount is 456.75 which works out 57.09 per person

Then the ride from our B&B in London was a total of 90 BPS.
The driver was malcolm who was very accommodating and met us just where he said he would. I figured out the prices by train and what with the transferring here and there did not come out much different. From Heathrow you have to ride back into London on the underground and change from one line to another (Liverpool St. I think). Don't know about Dover - you just may be able to get on a bus and have a nice leisurely ride down for less.