Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default safety in mediterranean?

hello
we are thinking about doing a mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon next year and when i was telling a coworker about the possible itinerary she looked at me like i was nuts to want to go there.
there are 2 possible ones we are looking at and the only difference between them is one has Croatia as a stop and one has Turkey.
how safe is it to be an American in those places?

Serenade of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:55 PM
AR

Default Re: safety in mediterranean?

If a place is deemed unsafe when you go, the ship will not stop there. They ain't stupid.

I live 6 miles from the White House and 6 miles from the Pentagon. Do you think I should venture out to run errands tomorrow morning?

The point is, there's no place to hide. Live your life. Be prudent, but don't be paranoid. Your coworker will probably wind up leading a pretty dull life.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:19 PM
szn

Default Re: Re: safety in mediterranean?

Hmmm. . . I agree . . . you must go on with your life. Of course, I live halfway between the Capitol and the White House in downtown DC, so I tend to be a bit more security aware, and our experience with Celebrity is that they are extremely security prudent.
Old April 17th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Passenger

i agree, i was just wondering if we might be hassled for being Americans. im actually quite excited to go to places i might never have thought to go to before like Turkey.
thanks for answering. :-)

Serenade of the Seas
Old April 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM
AR

Look at the other side of the coin.

You have the opportunity to be an ambassador for America, and God knows we need a few. Given that most of the rest of the world believes that Americans are arrogant, uncaring boors, you have the opportunity to prove them wrong.

In my experience, you get what you give when you travel. Also in my experience, people in other lands are better able to make the distinction between a nation's government and its individual citizens than we are. There are exceptions these days, of course, but you're not going to those places. So use the opportunity to just be the nice, friendly, considerate person that I'm sure you are. You'll be rewarded in kind just about anywhere.
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Passenger

We are going on a 12 niter in July. We were suppose to stop in Turkey but they took it off the itinerary and added Sicily. Obviously thay changed for concerns. We are still going.
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Croatia is magnificent and many Americans live there, including a very good friend of mine. Just because a place may have had strife in the past, doesn't mean it isn't safe today. Don't forget it wasn't too many wears ago that the U.S. had the Watts Riots, The Oklahoma City Bombing, not to mention the World Trade Center.

Should those events stop people from coming to the U.S.?
Old April 18th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Dogpark

Punk,

You really can't go wrong with either Turkey, or Croatia. I've done both (Croatia on a cruise last year, Turkey on military assignment), and would do EITHER again in a moment. Each has a bit of a different "flavor".

Dubrovnik is a wonderful, walled city which evokes the feel of the middle ages. It is VERY compact, and you can pretty much walk end to end in 10-15 minutes. The narrow, winding streets are a fantastic to spend a day wandering, but make sure to take the walk around the city walls as well.

Turkey, has a style and flair all its own. Istanbul is a large, thriving city, with TONS of tourist attractions to see. If you go, make sure to visit the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, and if time permits, a cruise up the Dardenelles. The other port would likely be Kusadasi....the gateway to Ephesus. I actually did this on my own (while in Turkey itself), and was amazed at the friendliness of the people. For an ancient history buff, there are NO Roman ruins better/more complete than Ephesus. You can spend a whole day wandering around the old town, completely immersing yourself in the richness of it. While most antiquity sites may have a building, or two, this place has a nearly intact feel to it. Still amazes me that the best Roman site is waaaay over in Turkey.....!!

As for begin nuts to travel, as other folks before me have stated, you'd really be nuts NOT TO. The key to travelling is using common sense, knowing what's going on around you, and not standing out in a crowd. The odds of being involved in a terrorist incident are infintesmal compared to getting hit by a bus, or struck by lightening. The animals.....er.....terrorists......thrive on controlling our actions by instilling fear. The easiest way to beat them is to continue on with you life, albeit with a common sense approach. As mentioned before, cruise lines aren't stupid, and will certainly shy away from ports in high threat areas, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. As for the people, going to tourist areas assures you that they people will be friendly, and only too excited to have you spend your money.

Hope this helps, and that you have a wonderful adventure!

Alan

P.S. I also live in the DC area, and even as a member of the military, I have no fear travelling.....
Old April 18th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Passenger

thanks for the descriptions Alan. the cruise we are looking at would be stopping at Kusadasi. i have been having a hard time getting a feel for what to do there since the travel book i have talks mostly about istanbul and the RCCL website shore excursion link to Kusadasi is broken. your description really helps. i hadnt realized about the ruins in Turkey.

thanks again :-)

Serenade of the Seas
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Dogpark

No problem. To be honest, I never actually did Kusadasi itself, as most of the literature I'd read described it (pretty much) as a tourist trap, where the hordes or tourists flocked ashore from the cruise ships. Nothing against cruisers, since I am on now myself (!), but I can't imagine it being much more than touristy shops, overpriced restaurants, and a marginal beach. Having actually driven down from Izmir, I opted to stay on the other side of Ephesus in a B&B, then do the historic site on my own. I can tell you, quite honestly, if you enjoy antiquities at all, you'll LOVE IT. There are portions that are nearly intact (probably the most intact short of Pompeii), and the extent of the area is fantastic. I think I spent a good 4 or 5 hours, doing a complete walk through and taking pictures (I'm something of a camera hound). My advice would be to hit the library/book store and pick up a tourist travel guide of the area and familiarize yourself with it beforehand, that way you can have an idea of what you're looking at once you get there. Unfortunately, you're likely to experience some crowds, as all the tours seemed to flow in one direction (being on my own, I opted to start from the reverse side, and missed most of "the herd"....haha!). If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask, as Turkey is one of the best places I've had the pleasure to visit.

Alan
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM
venice

I've been to Ephesus 3 times and it was awesome each time..enjoy the experience !!!
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Passenger

Dear Sir

If you do not consider thousands of Americans calling with their cruise in Turkey being not
I do not think you will be conssidered to be a nut too.
TUrkey isw quite safe even U.s Government lifted the warning.
In any case for your further questions do not hesitate in writing to me.
regards

Nejat incedogan
guide in Turkey

nincedogan@yahoo.com
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
JackieD

I think you need to consider the source ! Does your friend work for the state department?
People are free to express their opinions but it doesnt mean that they know what they are talking about.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Upsilon6

In March the Department of State stopped warning against travel to Turkey, but it still advises caution. You can read the travel advisory at http://travel.state.gov/turkey.html.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Croatia is NOT to be missed! Its gorgeous and extremely safe. We spent a week there last year traveling all over the country and it was awesome!
Cristin