Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:14 PM
joan 880

Default Warnemunde to Berlin

Can anyone tell me if the train station at Warnemunde is close to the ships. It seems a 2nd class ticket to Berlin is a lot cheaper than the cruise rates. Can we do it on our own without taking the ship's excursion. We are on the Westerdam arriving on 7/02 if any other passengers have some independent arrangements. Thanks

joansaidy@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Barbaralee
Default Re: Warnemunde to Berlin

The train from the shore excursion was just as you get off the ship. I'm not sure if that is the station if you book your own
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Captain

You'll need to take a cab to Rostock to catch the train to Berlin. I highly recommend it over the cattle-call shore excursions where you will sit with your nose pressed to the glass for about 7 hours after a 5-hour round trip train ride. Better still, you might consider waiting to see Berlin on another trip and just enjoy Rostock during your time in port. I think it's kind of crazy to try to see Berlin from that port because the city is so far from the sea, but it is very high profit trip (about $250-300 per passenger) for the cruise lines, so they're going to keep offering.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM
joan 880

Default Re: Re: Warnemunde to Berlin

There are trains to Berlin from Warnemunde that stop at Rostock. Are you sure that we need to take a cab to Rostock? The cruise excursion is only the train ride and not a Berlin tour--you're on your own there.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Warnemunde to Berlin

We took the cab to Rostock last year because it was easier and the train station in Warnemunde was not located near where our ship docked. It's just a few miles and was very cheap. You may be able to take the train from Warnemunde to Berlin, and this is the site I've been using for years for Europe train schedules that I've found to be reliable and accurate: http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fa...ules/index.htm. On our sailing last year, the Berlin excursion was a full-day tour and not a do-on-your-own. The hop-on hop-off bus might be a good option for you after you make the commute into Berlin.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:16 PM
joan 880

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Warnemunde to Berlin

Thanks for your input luv2cruise. Someone should write a comprehensive book about doing these shore excursions on your own.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM
ThomasEU

Try Frommer's: European Cruises and Ports of Call. We found a lot of good information about doing shore excursions on our own.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Captain

I think that book is pretty good and has some good info, but it's not updated frequently (I think the last update was 2000 or so), so I like hearing from others on the boards too so that I can get up-to-date info. The cruise lines are making so many changes and have such innovative itineraries in Europe now, so the information gets dated pretty quickly.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:37 AM
ThomasEU

Just got the 2004 edition of Frommer's: 'European Cruises and Ports of Call' at B&N last week. I agree, however, with getting the very latest info from these boards. Wanted to share the idea of a book which some people like to mull over. It does spend an inordinate amount of pages on different cruise lines though.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Linda Nell

HI! We just returned from a NCL cruise that included Warnemunde. We do not do ship tours. The train station is a 5 minute walk from the ship. Having seen much of Germany, we did not go to Berlin. We took the train to Holstock. Be warned: A couple took the train on their own & the train did not make it back in time to get our ship before it left port. They had to take a 12 hour train ride( very expensive) to Stolkholm to get back on ship. Since our $ is not good against the Euro it makes trains more costly. Be sure to allow lots of time to return if you go on your own. Have a great trip!. Linda PS : We did our first ship tour of St Petersburg & were so glad we did! That is a special circumstance.
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:21 AM
K from Los Angeles

Joan:
Has anyone answered you? I'm asking the same question. We are on the Grand Princess in and out of Copenhagen leaving June 28. If you find out anything, would you pass on the information? If I do, I'll do the same.
It would be great if we were on the same cruise. I have posted on the message boards but have had no reply.
K from Los Angeles.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Susan Shipe

My husband and I will be on the HAL cruise that will be in Warnemunde on Mon. July 26. I haven't visited Berlin since 1967 when the wall was still up and am lookig forward to seeing it again. How is the price difference between making train arrangements on your own vs the train excursions arranged by the ship? If you go with arrangments with the ship, will this avoid being stranded if you are late returning do to circumstances beyond your control?
Old June 6th, 2004, 05:58 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

You answer your own question.
When you do it on your own, you take the risk. I think it is worth it. Unlikely you would not make it back unless you just ignored your time schedule. Better in a group of at least 4.
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:47 AM
lysolq

Excursion rule of thumb: (in most cases) the further your tour destination from the ship, the better off you are booking a shore excursion as opposed to venturing off on your own.
We rarely book shore excursions, preferring to see ports of call on our own. However, when traveling, there are lots of variables over which you have no control. This is not usually a problem in most places, but having just returned from a Baltic cruise, I'd think twice about getting from Rostock (Warnemunde) on your own. Remember, the ship will always wait for passengers delayed on ship sponsored shore excursions; it won't wait for you if your watch stopped, your train is delayed, or there's a sudden wildcat transportation strike (quite common in Europe).
Old June 12th, 2004, 04:53 PM
DavidE

We are just about to head to Warnemunde / Berlin on the H A L / Westerdam July 10th (a Saturday). It sounds like you have a wealth of experience of this port and its connections to Berlin. I have found that even RailEurope were finding it hard to confirm details of ticketing on Deutsche Bahn.
Which Berlin Station should we head for to do the scenic bus tour?
Which station in Warnemunde (or should we take your advice and head out to Rostock by cab?)
Are we better off staying in Rostock?
Are we better off staying on the ship!!!!
All advice gratefully received

Thanks

David E
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:11 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

Joan
Our ship stopped within walking distance of the train to Rostock and it is easy to do. We needed marks then, but now it is euro. I think we put it in a machine and got the tickets.
This should be able to be done on your own. You just need to know what you will do so you don't waste time deciding what to do when you get ther.
Get an early train back. Always carry your passport in the unlikely event you miss the ship. You can catch it at the next port.
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:03 PM
joan 880

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Warnemunde to Berlin

Thanks Joe for your comment. We purchased 2nd class train tickets on the internet and have already received them. Warnemunde to Rostock then Rostock to Berlin. The train station you want in Berlin is the Zoo......... The tour buses are within walking distance to there at the Europa Center. You can buy the tickets at the Tourist Center there. It looks pretty straight forward and I can't believe that the German trains don't run on time!! We'll take our chances.
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:05 PM
DickieD

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise to the Baltic's. Warnemunde was one of our ports. We did not do Berlin as we felt it was too far and too much traveling for such a short time in Berlin. Instead we went to Schwerin, an hours train ride from Rostock. Rostock is 15 minutes by train from Warnemunde. The train station is less than 5 minutes from the ship. You can see it from the ship just outside the port area. It's an easy ride to Rostock and beyond.

If you want to go to Berlin, I would consider renting a car and driving instead of the train; quicker and more options if delayed. The autobahn is very good and easy to navigate. The zoo area has plenty of parking as well. Personally, I would save Berlin for another time and do things around Warnemunde or Rostock. Warnemunde is a very nice resort town on the water. Some nice shopping, good restaurants and good German beer. This is a good port to relax and enjoy the weather and resort suroundings.
Old June 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Helene Thall

Hi Susan,

We will be on the same sailing of the Westerdam -and in Warnemunde on July 26 - as well. We'll look for you!!
We do not intend to go to Berlin on that day, but will probably go to Rostock.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Susan Shipe

My husband and I have always cruised alone and we therefore were always amongst strangers. Would look forward to meeting you. We will also be in Copenhagen on a 2 day pre-cruise staying at the Scandic Hotel. We do like to hang out at the Crow's nest most evenings.
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Beginner

Hope you had a good time

My wife, Linda, and I have the same question and would love to know the answer. You've by now gotten home. could you please email us and let us know the answer. We're on the nordam early in September. .......you can probably tell us about st petersburg, too!

I want to get Russian visas and take the subway in to Nevsky and all the sites. But we seem to be falling into the 9-hour summer palace trip that includes pushkin and st petersburg.

anyway, please write when you can.
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:03 PM
chip brady

Just returned from Baltics cruise. Took the train from Warnamunde to Rostock. What a delightful day. Our friends went to Berlin and said it was a LONG day. About 11 hours round trip, by the time they got back to the ship. Rostock is a neat little town and the train drops you off right at the city square. However you must change trains to get into downtown Rostock.
While in St. Pete, do not miss the subways!! They are one of the wonders of the world. There is a ship excursion called Through the eyes of the Russian people. You will ride the subways and go to a large market in downtown and also go to a vodka tasting. Probably the best excursion we took. If you are interested email me and I will be glad to tell you what we did in each port. We only use tour guides in Russia.
Have a great cruise.

Chip Brady
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:27 PM
DavidE

Station is within sight of the major docking area - the bigger the ship you are on, the closer you will be!!

Trains to Rostock and thence to Berlin leave frequently and appear to run on time - always wise to leave a little slack if you think the ship might leave without you!

Warnemunde itself is a beautiful town - waterfront - cafes - market square - oompah bands - easy (flat) walk

Day trip to Berlin sounded exhausting (from reports of those returning!)

BTW - we did Westerdam - Harwich to Copenhagen 6th - 18th July - big - so close (Noordam was moored just around the corner!!)

Get in touch for more details

David Eccleston