Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Donna Graziano

Default Westerdam June 24 Russia Excursions

I was wondering if anyone out there has been to Russia, and can give me their input. My husband and I are sailing the Baltic in a few weeks on the Westerdam, and I am completely torn about what to see. I doubt we will ever venture to Russia again and we don't know if we should make the trek to Moscow or just see St. Petersburg. My husband hates long tours, but I feel it would be such a waste to be in Russia and not see the Kremlin or St. Basil's. Any input would be immensly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Mary Lou Piscopo

Default Re: Westerdam June 24 Russia Excursions

I feel the same way about Russia. It has been my dream trip for 5 years. I wanted to do the Russian Waterways Cruise, going from Moscow to St. Pete down the river, stopping at all the small towns along the way, but my husband wasn't for that. We decided on a Baltic Cruise instead. We are going on the Radisson Voyager leaving Aug. 20. It's only a 7 day cruise, but spends 3 days in St. Pete. We are also doing a post cruise of 3 nights in Moscow. Does HAL have anything like that available? Hope you have a great time. I wish we were leaving tomorrow. Did you check into private guides in St. Pete.
We are doing 2 of our days touring with Red October and the third hope to take a ship shopping excursion. Make sure you post a review when you return of the ports. Everyone going later in the summer would surely appreciate it.

Mary Lou
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:06 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

Go to the interactive features menu and click on the photo gallery. In the search box type in Joe Reynolds. Hit search and then scroll to Baltic.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Alexis

My husband and I will be on the same cruise as you and your husband. I have set up a few tours through HAL, but am thinking of cancelling most of them and going on our own. I'd be happy to talk excursions with you...maybe we can make sense of everything and share some ideas. It can't hurt.
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Donna G

Default Re: Re: Westerdam June 24 Russia Excursions

Sure Alexis that would be great! Email me! Ohdonna5@optonline.net I would be happy to share ideas!
Old June 12th, 2004, 01:09 AM
AR

Just came back from a Baltic cruise that stopped in St. Petersburg. Had visited there 30 years ago when it was Leningrad. Also went to Moscow at that time.

Yes, Moscow is the Capital, but St. Petersburg is the Capital of the Czars. Moscow has Red Square and St. Basil's. . .and that's about it (especially if you're just there for a day). It's the city that bureacracy built. St. Petersburg has Nevsky Prospekt and the Church of the Spilled Blood and the Hermitage and Peterhof and Catherine's Palace, and. . .and. . .and. It is the city that royalty built.

Bottom line: under no circumstances would I divert myself from St. Petersburg to go to Moscow. If you can do Moscow post cruise, that's an ideal solution.

Stick with Red October. We used them for two days and they were great. If we'd had a third day there, we'd have used them for the third day. I don't think an independent shopping spree makes much sense in St. Petersburg. RO takes you to a couple stores where you can buy the standard stuff. And you should keep in mind that St. Petersburg is a difficult city to negotiate on your own, even for experienced travelers.