Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:23 AM
CatherineS

Default Copenhagen on Baltic Cruise

We are taking the NCL Dream Baltic cruise 7/12. We will arrive on a Saturday evening and be docked until Sunday afternoon. I read that shops etc. are closed in Copenhagen on Sunday. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Any tips on this cruise? We have St. Petersburg arranged thanks to all your good comments, but could use any advice on other cities like Talinn, Stockholm, Helsinki, etc. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:27 PM
lysolq

Default Re: Copenhagen on Baltic Cruise

We just returned from a similar cruise on the Constellation.
Can't answer about stores in Copenhagen being open or closed on Sunday since we were there mid-week. However, we were told stores in Tallinn were closed on Sunday, yet when we arrived they were all open and carrying on business as usual.
By the way, Tallinn is a gem - you will love it.
Old June 12th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Tallinn is amazing and by far the best shopping on the cruise. Have lunch at the St. Petersburg hotel in Tallinn. The shrimp sandwich on Russian peasant bread is out of this world.

Copenhagen is a great port too. Take the river tour if you can. Also Tivoli Gargens is fun to see.

There will be shops open if there is a cruise ship in town, don't worry.

The food on the Dream is awful, pay extra and eat at "Le Bistro." We ate there 9 out of 12 nights. It was well worth the extra money.
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:35 AM
nes

Our travel agent informed us that due to a broken crank shaft, the itinerary for the July 12 cruise will be modified. Tallin is no longer on the itinerary and the ports have been rearranged. We will be Copengagen on Wednesday not Sunday. The ship is trying to fix the engine but the details of changing the ports is more difficult so they didn't feel that the original itinerary will be used.
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Bobbi Mitzenmacher

Default Re: Re: Copenhagen on Baltic Cruise

What cruise are you going on that leave on July 123? Is it the Princedam?
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Bobbi Mitzenmacher

What cruise are you going on that leave on July 12? Is it the Princedam?
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Judyumcer@aol.com

We are sailing Aug.27th from Stockholm on the Radisson Voyager. Anyone interested in sharing Red October in St. Petersburg? We have reservations and have a party of 5 so far. Can take a few more. If interested e-mail me. Also doing a 4 night pre-cruise in Moscow. Staying at the National Hotel. Any info is appreciated.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Passenger

Actually the shops will be closed all day in Copenhagen. They follow the European tradition and Sunday is the sabbath and therefore no-one shops. The boat ride on the Canal is great. Also a walk to the Castle and a tour of that is very informative. We have been to Copenhagen twice and have stayed for over a week so know the city well. We are not very impressed with Tivoli and feel it is a waste of time and money especially if you are only in Copenhagen for a day. It is great to have a meal along the Nyhaven. There are loads of restaurants there.

Helsinki is an easy port to do on your own. Do not miss out on going to see the Rock Church. It is amazing.

Stockholm is a very walkable city. We were there all day and saw the Old Town, went to the Town Hall and saw where the Nobel Peace prize is given, went up the top of the Bell Tower and had a great view of Stockholm and in the afternoon we took the ferry to see the Vas Museum which is another must see. It is easy to get around and is a beautiful city.

Jennie

Post Edited (07-02-04 21:01)

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Selwyn

Hi there,
Hope that you have a great cruise. We are on the same ship but only sail on 17 August. Please drop me an e-mail on some tips and what the cruise was like.
Regards,
Selwyn
sperox@mweb.co.za
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:07 PM
cheech

Just returned from our Baltic cruise. I agree with all the previous comments.
Suggestion; In Copenhagen, try to go to the, I believe it's called, the RESISTANCE MUSEUM. Concerns the NAZI occupation and how the Danes took care of and hid their Jewish population during the war. IAlso their resistance to this occupation. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to go through it, but well worth the time. I believe it is open every day of the week, but check on it. It's near the Mermaid statue and not too far from where you will dock. If it's a nice day, and you like to walk, it can be done.
Any other questions, would be glad to answer if I can. Have a wonderful trip.
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:00 PM
DavidE

Can confirm shops closed Sunday in Copenhagen

While cruising - try Tallinn - probably the best stopover on our recent Westerdam Harwich / Copenhagen Baltic cruise

David R Eccleston
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:14 AM
Susan Shipe

Hi, We just returned from our Baltic cruise on the Westerdam and stayed in Copenhagen prior to beginning the cruise. In Copenhagen, next to Parliament is the Arsenal. This contains the largest gun collection in the world! On the first floor are all different cannons and mortars, as far as you can see. The second floor contains the guns covering an area larger than a football field. Although nothing marked is in English, if you know anything about guns, this is not to be missed. Also, the guide books say that on Saturday nights at Tivoli has a gala fireworks display at 11:45 PM. My husband and Idecided to see this. What a disappointment! Their "gala" display lasted 4 minutes! Do not waste your time on this.
We were disappointed in the shopping in Tallin. We purposefully didn't buy much in St. Petersburg. We were wrong. People on the ship got a better selection at the suvenier hucksters outside the attractions and especially in the flea market outside of the Church of Spilled Blood. Tallin was VERY expensive with not as many choices. Perhaps this is due to the fact that there were 5 cruise ships in port at the same time. Have fun on your cruise.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Robie

In Europe, stores and many other tourist attractions are closed on Sundays. Restaurants are open. Tivoli should be open. I loved Copenhagen. 2 great restaurants that I went to wre Krog and Perlen. Perlen is in Tivoli and is reasonable.
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:23 PM
marie granados

Can you tell me whether or not I could find the Grand Princess Ship on the computer and follow my daughter and son-in-law's voyage. If you know this information - I would
appreciate a reply. They left Copenhagen 08/07 at 09:00 PM. Thanks for any info you
may have. They had told me there was some way to view the voyage.

Sincerely,

Marie Granados
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
marie granados

Can you tell me whether or not I could find the Grand Princess Ship on the computer and follow my daughter and son-in-law's voyage. If you know this information - I would
appreciate a reply. They left Copenhagen 08/07 at 09:00 PM. Thanks for any info you
may have. They had told me there was some way to view the voyage.

Sincerely,

Marie Granados
Old August 8th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Robie

Expect that stores will usually be closed on Sundays in Europe. Only the very touristy (souvenir, teeshirt,etc.) stores stay open.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Passenger

Marie,

Here is the website for the cam; http://www.kroooz-cams.com/grand/grand.htm

I have seen the Grand on the screen so you should be able to as well.

Good luck.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens