Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Donna Banville

Default Shuttles from Civitavecchia to Rome

Does anyone know if there are shuttles from the cruise port in Civitavecchia to Rome. The cruise ship we are taking has excursions, however they seem quite expensive just for a bus trip. We have been there before, and are taking family this time, and we all want to see "Rome on our Own", but don't want to waste a fortune on the bus trip there. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Kathy from Massachusetts

Default Re: Shuttles from Civitavecchia to Rome

I remember that the port was about a two-hour drive from Rome -- we took a RCCL tour, and the bus was very late getting back to the ship (after the ship was supposed to leave, in fact) because of traffic. So I would be very careful in checking out alternative transportation in this case, and allow plenty of time for the return trip.
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Passenger

We have always taken the train to Roma Termini and from there you can take the 110 Hop on Hop off bus tour .A great value for money day
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Chris G

Default Re: Re: Shuttles from Civitavecchia to Rome

Hi Mike,

Does the train run frequently from Citavecchia to Rome? Do you get the bus right at the terminal?

This sounds like a better idea, than using the cruise ships shuttle. Any info would be helpful, going in Sept.
Thanks, Chris
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Donalee

I took the train from the port to Rome. This is a basic commuter train with no air conditioning. I used my rail pass so I can't tell you what the fare was. I had to take a taxi from the ship to the train station, a short 5 minute drive. The driver tried to sell me a 2 hour taxi ride into Rome! Be careful of the taxi drivers here they want to drive you to Rome instead of to the train station.
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Passenger

We walked from the ship to the train station in Rome. It was maybe a 15 minute walk. You just go to the main street from the dock, take a right and the train station will be on your left. It was 9 euros round trip. The trains ran regularly - we made sure we came back on an earlier train than we really needed to so we wouldn't be concerned about being late. Also, the train took much less time than the shuttle (no traffic, parking etc. I suspect)

There is a free shuttle from the ship to the main street in Civitavecchia which looked like it ran fairly regularly - this way you would miss the hustle and bustle of the dock.

Have fun!
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Passenger

Sorry - I mean we walked from the ship to the train station in Civitavecchia (15 minute walk) and then took the train to Rome (9 euros). There's a stop for the Vatican and for Rome itself. You have to pay attention because the stations are not announced - you just have to watch for the signs at the stops.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
CruisinMorMor

TO PIE: thanks for the info for the train Civitavecchia to Rome. 9 Euros round trip? Do you have any idea how much for one way? How often did the trains run? Thant sounds pretty good. We will have luggage with us if we do the trains. Ugh!
Our cruise ends in Civitavecchia on Sept. 16 (Royal Princess), I am looking for 3 couples if we need to do a private transport to Rome from the Civ Harbour.
That will cost $59. per person for 8 persons. Any one interested contact me direct:
mormorfreeman@aol.com Any advice on Rome for 3 days?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Cruisin' -

I think I remember the one-way was 5 euro. The train to Rome ran about every hour to hour and a half in the morning; it takes just under an hour to get to Roma Termini.

You can also take a train or the Metro from the Roma Termini train station to the airport. I think the Metro runs around 2,50 euro.

Have fun!
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:57 PM
david darman

Thanks for advice on trains fromCivi to Rome ( Vatican). We arrive on 8/08 on the HAL Rotterdam. I was thinking of trying to put together a minivan group, but the 10Euro trian option seems hard to beat.
Anybody know how I can access the Sunday schedule?
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Passenger

You can see the schedules at http://www.raileurope.com. The Vatican has its own train stop and its a short (10 minute?) walk from the station to the Vatican. We were told we'd have to wait a long time to get into the Vatican Museum and the Sistine chapel if we went on our own but we only waited about 10 minutes outside and 5 minutes at the ticket window.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:54 AM
david darman

Although many write that the train fare from Civit. to rome is 10 euros RT , why does the web site that Pie recommends ( www.raileurope.com) list a 25 euro one way tariff. ANd are those schedules accurate?
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Passenger

I think it is because they list fares for both "couchettes" and "seats". If you look at the fare for a "seat" it lists $11 (around 9 euros). We had a seat and, while not spectucularly comfortable, it was fine for just over an hour trip. I don't know what you do with your luggage if you have it, though. We were just on a day trip, so we didn't even look if there were places to put luggage. Maybe someone else would know?
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Passenger

you can check italian rail schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/index.htm....
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM
david darman

thank you.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 02:11 AM
Dewhit6959

Default RailPasses for Italy

Dear Donnalee;

Would you be so kind as to tell me about your rail pass you used in Italy. My wife and will be flying into Rome in October, 2005 and staying between 7 and 20 days. Years ago I bought Deutsche Rail Passes in Frankfurt for travel thru West Germany and Austria, but that was a while back. I would appreciate your info. Thank-you. dewhit6959@aol.com or post on board
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Marisel Diaz

I am trying to find out the train schedule from Citavecchia to Rome and I do not know the name of the train station in Citavecchia. Could you please help me?
Thanks you,
MRD
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Try this site http://www.trenitalia.com/en/ and if you enter civitavecchia you will be in.
P.S. pay attention to typo this site will not offer you alternative.
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM
kristian

you can hire the private car only for roundtrip from to civitavecchia
conatct www.romeinlimo.com
they will help you
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Popeye38

There are both shuttles and cruise excursions operated from private companies.
They are generally good value for money.
Last year I used this company called Romecabs for a Rome excursion and I was very happy with their service.
Try to contact them at romecabs@yahoo.com