Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Mary Lou Piscopo

Default Lunch in St. Pete

Am going to St. Petersburg on RSSC Voyager in late August. We have arranged for a 2 day tour with Red October. I had read on this board and others that I could bring box lunches from the ship for a quick lunch for ourselves and guide and driver. Laura at
RO has said that this was fine. I though it was a great idea in that there is so much to see in St. Pete that a resturant would take much needed time out of our day. I then read that you can't take food off the ship for sanitary reasons. Does anyone have any idea which is the truth? I'd appreciate any info.
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2004, 10:51 PM
AR

Default Re: Lunch in St. Pete

I don't know about the sanitary issue, but we ate at Red October recommended restaurants last month and enjoyed them, for several reasons.

One, the food represents at least a swipe at the local cuisine, which is a nice change from the ship.

Two, we had enjoyable, relaxing lunches that didn't take an inordinate amount of time (maybe 50 minutes, but certainly not the two hour time wasters that ship's tours sometimes stick you with).

Three, you've got to remember that Red October schedules very long (and very rewarding) days. A proper lunch break was a welcome part of those long days.
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Chez

Default Re: Lunch in St. Pete

We are booked on red october, and looked at their suggested lunch. Did you have a lot of choice on the menu, or is it just the choices that red october print.

What did you have and were did you go.

Thanks in advance.

Chez

:-)
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:18 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Lunch in St. Pete

There were a few basic entree choices. Nobody in our group of eight had any complaints. I remember that the beef stroganoff was quite good and the cabbage soup was really wonderful. Russian ice cream, of course, is legendary, and we had some that was to die for. As for the names of the restaurants, I couldn't remember if you paid me. They were both very pleasant, and most importantly they were both very close to the sights we were visiting, so there was no time wasted schlepping to and from them.

Keep this stuff in perspective: these are pleasant, perfectly good, functional lunches in the middle of long days of touring. It's easy to relax and enjoy them. Do not expect them to be haute cuisine. Mainly, don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. Just tell RO to feed you lunch and they will.