Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2004, 07:12 PM
cdoobiest

Default Cruising in Med in late Oct/Nov, good or bad?

Hi, 1st time thinking of going to Med on 14 night celebrity cruise oct 24 from barcelona to ports in italy and greece and back to barcelona nov 7. Anyone have any advice on whether the seas will be too choppy or port destinations too cold to go. would you recommend earlier cruises in sept? (however much more money!)

thanks for replies!
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruising in Med in late Oct/Nov, good or bad?

I cruised in the Med 24th oct 2 years ago. The weather was about 24 to 28 degrees.
You needed a jumper or jacket in the evening. The sea was like a mill pond throughout the cruise but this weather can not be guaranteed at this time of year. Hope your afre as lucky as we were. Happy cruising.
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

hi the weather can be a little hit and miss at that time of year, went to greece in oct in 2000 it rained solidly for two days and was absoloutly glorious for the rest of the time. pack a mixtur of clothes and a jacket/cardigan is definitely needed for the evenings. have a lovely cruise.
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Kay Lawson

I'll be on the cruise October 24, 2004 leaving from Barcelona. I have been told that it will be still be in the 70's. - great weather for the tours. Hoping to meet some friends onboard. I'll be traveling alone.
Old July 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Robie

Sounds great. Just got back. Weather was sunny, but extremely hot. 100F in Athens. Very uncomfortable. It should be much better in OCT.
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
bobby mansfield

I will be cruising in the Med. from 10 oct. 2004 until 24 Oct. 2004 leaving from Rome, Italy and terminating in Barcelona, Spain. We will be making stops in Dubrovnick, Corfu, Palermo, Valleta,Mahon, St. Tropez and Barcelona. Any ideas on what the weather holds for us this time of year.
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Beginner

Been on many a Med Cruise and on ships a whole lot smaller and only come in Haze Gray........Never had any rough weather in the med and sunny 95% of the time (except maybe early April) and the temps are reasonable in the fall. Last time in Barcelona was in late Sept 92 and it was very pleasent.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Cruising in Med in late Oct/Nov, good or bad?

NavyChief, you gave me a chuckle.

My husband and I cruise Europe almost every year and have for over a decade, and I like the shoulder season a lot. We usually do a pre- and post-cruise stay in a couple of cities, and the crowds are smaller at all the sights in shoulder season as well as the advantage of milder temperatures and lower prices (cruises and hotels).

However, I agree with another post above that you should be prepared for anything. We have cruised in the fall with no problems, but we had a pretty dramatic weather pattern when we cruised from Istanbul to Rome about 4 years ago. While we were enjoying a nice port day in St. Tropez, which was a tender port, a fierce storm kicked up at sea, and the cruise line had a really hard time getting everyone back on board safely. In fact, one of the tenders ripped the stairs off the side of the ship, and we were all very thankful that no one was on the stairs. We were in the tenders trying to get back on the ship in 12-15 foot swells, which felt like it would turn the tenders over. The captain also had to skip our port the next day, Portfino, because it was a tender port too (my husband and I had already been to Portofino but others were very disappointed but understood due to the obvious weather situation). I must say that we were very impressed with the Princess crew.

On our last cruise in May of this year on the Holland Noordam, there were rough seas due to storms at night, but the Holland captain handled it as well as he could and altered our schedule a little accordingly. We called at the port of Marseille instead of Sete. That wasn't an issue for us because they were both in the Provence region, but some of the passengers had plans to go to Carcassonne that day, and that was not possible from Marseille. My husband and I are good sailors and don't get seasick but many on our ship did, so if you have a tendency toward that, you might have a higher chance of rough seas in shoulder season. Otherwise, I guess the point is that the weather is always a crapshoot, so my husband and I make our plans and then deal with any adversity that arises during the trip. To be honest, weather's a lot easier to deal with than the raw sewage in our cabin and other issues that arose during our cruise on the Norwegian Dream last year (that ship is a dump, and I do not recommend it to anyone), but that's another thread entirely.

Generally, it does tend to be more rainy in many cities in Europe in the fall. In Venice, there are problems with flooding that are being addressed with a major construction project at this time. Raised walkways are needed frequently during the spring and fall, and it is my understanding that this is more pronounced during the full moon. My husbaqnd and I have learned to make the most of what we're given wherever we are, and we've been very fortunate but do have some pictures of us in some lovely squares under our umbrellas.

So my recommendation would be that if the price is right and you like the itinerary, go for it and have some back-up plans.

Hope you have a great trip,
Donna
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:13 PM
brenda courtney

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruising in Med in late Oct/Nov, good or bad?

We have been in the Med in late Oct for the past three years and will again be going this fall. What wonderful weather. Often started the day with a light sweater and would take off when it got warm. More southern ports tend to be warmer of course. I do recall one day when it was rough. Could do that anytime of the year. You will find pleasant weather and less crowds. Enjoy!
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Mateli

It is late to do a cruise,because the sun goes down early at this time of the year and you miss all departure from port you just see lights.May or June is the best. Have a nice cruise anywayy. Mateli