Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
MShannonC

Default Greek Isles Cruise/Vacation Recommendations

My mother (72 and going strong) and I (41 and trying to keep up with mom!) are putting together a "mother-daughter" trip to the Greek Isles and plan to have a few other mother-daughter friends joining us. Although money is not an issue for my mother, it is very much an issue for us daughters! I'm looking for recommendations on the most economical way to visit the greek isles. We are hoping for a trip in May 2004. Don't necessarily want to be shuttled with a bunch of other tourist to the most popular destinations, but not sure how to avoid that and still make this trip affordable.

My mom thinks I should look at goaheadvacations.com and try to pull enough people together for a discounted ticket for myself, but I've done one vacation with them that was fine but the costs of tipping added up significantly, the schedule was pretty grueling, and the extra costs for "excursions" was also such an added on cost that I'm not sure we actually saved much money by going with them vs. another tour company or on our own.

I welcome others experiences, thoughts & suggestions. I even considered finding a villa to rent and taking water taxi's to various islands from a springboard place but maybe a cruise ship is better? THANKS

M.S. Crane
Chapel Hill, NC
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: Greek Isles Cruise/Vacation Recommendations

how about a vacation in Halkidiki? it is fairly near Thessoloniki which is a cruise stop for swan hellenic (i believe) and is in the shadow of mount olympus. there is lots of history, the macedonians, alexander the great. it is a fascinating area. we stayed in a small town called afitos, which was quite hilly, but utterly beautiful and charming. it is about 10hours from athens by train. hope this helps.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.