Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Wanda

Default Med Cruise Excursions-Shoes?

This may seem like a stupid question BUT, I read all over the boards to "wear tennis shoes, very important for your comfort and all the walking." Then I read where evryone says you have to dress up in Rome, etc to get into the museums. Just wondering if everyone wore their nice clothes with shawls covering theirr shoulders as required, and then just wore tennis shoes? Am I understanding this right? Just wondering becasue I plan on taking nice dresses, etc that cover my knees to get into the Sistine Chapel, etc. , but of course realize that dress shoes would result in many blisters...Any help would be appreciated. Leaving Aug 30th on Brilliance of the Seas 12 nite Mediter. cruise...Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Med Cruise Excursions-Shoes?

Hi Wanda,
Returned from my second Med cruise June 13th. I wouldn't worry too much about dressing up. The main stipulation to get into the churches etc. is that your shoulders and knees are covered (no tank tops, mini skirts, or shorts). Comfortable slacks, loose-fitting long skirts, or capris are perfectly adequate.
As far as shoes go, the rule of thumb is to make sure they are comfortable. Many of the streets are cobblestone and it can be tough on the feet. The streets are also very dirty. The few times I wore thick sandals, my feet were filthy when I returned to the pensione. Lots of tourists wear tennis shoes or birenstocks..even in the Vatican. Save the nice stuff for the cruise.
Have fun!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:19 PM
JoyceM

I concur! WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. It will be the most important rule you didn't follow--you'll always remember your feet hurt in Rome! No need to dress up, just be modest. All the tourists will be wearing comfortable shoes...nothing to worry about!
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Wanda

Thanks Guys, You're the best!
Wanda
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Robie

To enter the churches in Rome, Florence and Venice, you do not need to "dress up". Just don't wear sleeveless shirts and cover your knees. Some places were fussy. Outside the Vatican, there are vendors selling scarves that many women wrapped aroung them or bring your own. Some churches in Florence gave people paper smocks. To be on the safe side, wear shorts sleeved shirts and long pants or capris. I wore zipoff pants in Rome and Florence. After viewing a church, I just zipped the legs off and wore shorts the rest of the time. Good walking shoes are essential. A hat and sunscreen are necessary too.