Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Default Port or Starboard for Rome to Venice?

Hi,
Just wondered for you seasoned travelers out there who have cruised the Med /Greek Isles - which side of the ship did you prefer for your balcony? The cruise I am contemplating taking is from Rome to Venice, with stops at Naples, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, and ending in Venice. Which side is best for viewing landscapes in the distance, sunsets, ports? Any advice is very much appreciated!

Post Edited (08-21-04 14:28)
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: Port or Starboard for Rome to Venice?

we had the port side this time and it worked great for us. southampton to athens.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Mike3

Port is the preferred side since land is to your left most of the way but the very best place is an aft cabin with balcony since you get gresat views of every port as you leave.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Mike & Charlotte

We'll be on the Star Princess on that itinerary, departing 9/25. We chose an aft cabin, at the very back overlooking the stern. That way you get all the views that last and last, while they pass others on the sides by. Additionally, the aft balconies are huge and have nice overhangs to protect from the rain and wind. Great place for a sunset dinner; just order off the dining room menu from room service.

If you're afraid of movement, though, port would be good for circling Italy, but starboard would be good along the Croatian coast. Of course for the tender ports, the ship will make a full circle while at anchor. So, unless you go for aft cabins, it's a tossup.

Charlotte
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

Port is fine for the Rome to Santorini legs, but when heading north up the Adriatic to Venice, I'd prefer the starboard side to enjoy the Dalmatian coast. But since you're going to be leaving a port at 6pm and arriving the next morning in a different one, the coastline will be obscured by darkness for most of the journey!

Cruising through the Greek Isles is similar to sailing the Alaskan Inside Passage - the straits are so narrow and the islands are so similar that you'll get a great view from either side of the ship. As the other commenters noted, an aft cabin is probably the best, provided that the seas are calm - otherwise, you might feel a corkscrewing motion as the ship pitches and yaws!
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to One Cruise Stand

I was on the Sept 1 cruise from Venice to Barcelona and found that we were so far off shore you couldn't see the shore for the most part. Going around under Greece and going between Italy and Sicily were the only two places that I was able to see land. Keep in mind that most of your travel from port to port will be at night so even if you were close - all you'd see is some distant lights - maybe. If you are concerned about what side to be on, it would be during the run up the Adriatic See from Greece to Venice. The Mediterranean sun can be pretty hot but if you don't mind it, or like it a lot, I'd pick the Port side (left side facing forward) so that you get all the sun for the two day sail into Venice.

I wish we had ended in Venice instead of starting there - I loved that place. It has so much character and is so fascinating. There were several places I wanted to get to but had run out of time. I definately want to go back.

Enjoy your cruise!

R