Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:33 PM
dfwguy62-Rick

Default Barcelona port logistics

My flight arrives in Barcelona at 7:45 AM. So if on time, I would think I can be to the port by 10 at the latest. Boarding officially starts on the Brilliance (Royal Caribbean) at 2:00 PM and departure is at 7:00 PM, I think. I've read that many times you can board earlier than the official boarding time, but no guarantees.

Does anyone know if it's possible to drop off my bags at the port as early as 10:00 AM somewhere so that I could then walk up into Barcelona some? I hear it's walkable to get up into the sights, but not sure how long I'll be saddled with luggage. Even if I board at noon or 1:00, I still probably have time to kill that I'd rather do something other than sitting and babysitting luggage.

Any experience to share would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rick.
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2004, 11:05 PM
bubbadog

Default Re: Barcelona port logistics

from what ive heard u can drop off bags and then if ya want you can walk to las ramblas,which is a very long street loaded with shops,place to eat shop drink ,hang out till you board 11;00 o clock comes to mind ,anyway have a good time were commin ocxt 30th))))))))
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:57 AM
AR

I would simply go directly from the airport to the pier. Chances are you'll be able to check in either immediately or in very short order. As soon as you do, hotfoot it for the Ramblas. Me, I'd take a cab directly from the pier up to the top of Ramblas, and walk back toward the port, being sure not to miss the old city in the process. It is important to meander off the Ramblas to see such things as the old city with its interesting city square and cathedral surrounded by the ancient walls. Even if you don't get started before 2:00, you'll still have plently of time to do this. By working your way back to the port, you'll be able to judge the time better, and you can just grab a cab the rest of the way back if you're running late.

You'll be jetlagged some, but that's OK, because once you get on the ship you can crash for as long as you like. The first night is no big deal.

Better yet, if it's possible to change your reservation and come in a day or two early, Barcelona will richly reward you for spending the extra time.
Old October 17th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

Note the location of the ship when you drop off your bags. Hopefully you'll be at the World Trade Center. But if you're at the new cruise ship terminal, it's a LOOOOONG walk (and a high bridge) between there and the Columbus statue (the foot of Las Ramblas). But there's a blue bus that runs between the terminal and the statue for a couple of Euros. Save your receipt, because the single fare is good for a round trip. You can walk from the statue to Plaza Catalunya and back, using different sides of the street in each direction - there's a lot to see there, especially in the wide median strip. Just watch out for pickpockets and Russian three-card monte operators.

There weren't lockers at the terminal (actually, it's a converted fruit storage shed), but there should be RCCL cruise personnel at the terminal processing the luggage coming off from incoming early morning flights that the cruise line arranged. Leave your suitcases with them and head downtown!
Old October 23rd, 2004, 02:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

Sunday's Washington Post Travel section featured several pieces on Barcelona, including an article describing how to do a Tapas Crawl (similar to a pub crawl, but you're searching for food instead of brews). He describes how the final tab is priced (counting toothpicks and swords in some places), and how to snag a hard-to-find seat at a tapas bar. Check them out online:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Oct20.html

Old January 31st, 2005, 02:29 PM
kay marshall

Do you have any information on rental car agencies that are close to cruise terminal. I need to rent for 1 week and return it to airport. Do car rental agencies run shutlles from ship to their agency?