Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:33 PM
lynda

Default can someone describe gibraltar?

i am going to gibraltar next year on my cruise i am told it is a nice place but sadly have not been before, can someone tell me what its like i a bit of detail, only if you have first hand knowledge please.
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:43 PM
AR

Default Re: can someone describe gibraltar?

The pier is about a mile from the center of "town," which is simply a huge shopping strip. There's basically one tour you can take that makes sense, which is up to the top of the rock to see the view, the caverns and the Barbary Apes (watch where you step and don't walk around with ANY open food--it's amazing how many people ignore the signs, to their regret). It's actually rather nice, but you can buy the tour on the street for less than the ship charges. The view of the rock is nice from the ship on arrival and departure. Bring your Prudential policy and see if you can get a photo from the same angle as the logo.

It's an excellent cruise stop, because it is worth exactly the one day you spend there. Once you've seen it, you've seen it.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:49 AM
chez

I agree there is no need to book the ship tour, if you want to visit the rock, go first thing, we ambled up at there was about a 2 hour wait both at the bottom & at the top, we didn't have time to do it. It will probably take about 30-45 mins. There are mini buses offering you tours up to the top of the rock, again at cheaper prices than the ships tours.

There is a tour bus into the town & beyond, but to be honest there was 8 of us and we ambled towards the town, I think it took about 20 mins. The main street is full of shops, didn't spot too many bargans though. They have a couple of English shops including C&A (now closed down in England).

Buy your booze on the way back to the ship, the last few shops out of town are aimed at you and it's very cheap, my husband picked a branded bottle of Bicardi up for about 5 pounds, not sure how cheap the cigarettes were as we don't smoke, but people were in there buying bags full, so I guess they must be cheap.

Enjoy yourself.

Chez :-)
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Passenger

I was there several years ago. We booked a taxi there that took us up to the top of the rock for the views and the apes . There is a cave that is used for concerts. Another interesting site were the gun fortifications. Your guide will show you where to stop. There is a village there but we weren't interested in shopping. The apes are fun to watch but are sometimes quite a nuisance. One tried to get a candy bar out of our friends pants pockets and ended up scratching him a lot on his hand, Don't have any food with you........ The views from the top are beautiful. We parked our car at the base and then found a private taxi to take us around. We spent several hours on the rock.
I am sure you would enjoy this.
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Passenger

so what am i expected to see if i just walked round for about 2-3 hours?

Old November 20th, 2004, 02:24 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: can someone describe gibraltar?

If you just walk around for 2-3 hours, you'll see stores. Unless you're a goat, I doubt you can hike to the top of the rock.