Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Default Transatlantic Cruise

Anyone been on the transaltantic cruise from NY to London (Southampton) on Golden Princess. Any suggestions recommendations.

What is best way to book air flights from London back to states - one way or round trip?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
judycanuck

Default Re: Transatlantic Cruise

Haven't been on this trip, but thought the Golden was gorgeous! We still play Maurizio's CD. One -way fares are usually prohibitive although some airlines are now selling them at realistic prices. We've found that when the ship is not doing a round trip it is often advisable to consider the airfare option offered by the cruise line. That saved us over $1000 going to Alaska and looks like about $2000 for our transatlantic voyage.
there shouldbe lots of flights rom London, though.
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Margie Stinson

Default Re: Re: Transatlantic Cruise

Just check airfares on the internet using Travelocity or Orbitz -- you'll be in for quite a shock on the price of international airfares. Princess is charging us $1150 for two returns from Rome. The internet best fare available was $1850 for ONE! One-way tickets are prohibitively priced and the airline fare is MUCH better in my opinion. Good luck!

Margie in Houston
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Cruise

Thanks Margie will probably book through cruise line.

Have you heard of anyone booking a round trip ticket which originates in Europe and the return would be from US back to Europe and not using the return portion. Don't know if that is illegal or not but doesn't seem like it would be since you paid for the ticket.

Well it was an idea but we will probably book through the cruise seems less complicated.
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Maureen Tollington

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Cruise

Hi Patt,

Yes you can do that and from London to NY return you can may cutprice deals as so many airlines use that route. Prices are very competitive i.e. us brits can come over to NYC return for under 300 (say $500 + return) so you could purchase your ticket and just not use the return fare back.

Having booked loads of travel in the past, I know many people who have done that.

Work hard on this one 'cos you WILL BE ABLE to find cheap tickets. We have flown on BA (always costs more!) from London to Phoenix direct twice now and only paid 285 each for the RETURN trip!!!!! (Also helps having a good friend who works with BA, so always get upgraded to business too - can;t be bad

As I say, London to NY is a very lucrative route and one of the most popular routes from the UK to the US, so competition being so fierce, the deals will be there.

Good luck and happy hunting as they say. Tally-ho!!!!!
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Cruise

Thanks for your help. Will try NY round trip. The ship is offering a pretty good fare from Charlotte to NY to London is $669.00.
Old January 8th, 2005, 08:58 PM
judycanuck

Although it sounds incredible, the airlines frown on and insist that it is illegal for you to use only one half of your round-trip ticket. Nevertheless many people do it because the round trip is often SO much cheaper than the one-way. Just be careful--you have to use the FiRST half or the second half will be voided.
Goods luck!
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Margie Stinson

I mentioned this same ploy to my travel agent (using only one-half of the ticket) and he said please don't buy it from him if that was our intention because the airline penalizes the TA. I'm not quite sure how, but he was quite serious about it. Seems like a perfectly reasonable choice to me, but for some reason he was upset about it. Used to be you could buy a round trip, use one portion, and save the unused part for another date, but alas not able to do so any longer.
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Cruise

After checking around it seems as if the cruise line has the best deal for the airfare since our flight would not be round trip. Therefore looks like there is not going to be any deal on this part of the trip.
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:20 AM
susancruzs

I'm thinking the same thing for my Sea Princess Sept. cruise. Cruise air add-on is 635 and pricing I've looked at has been outrageous! I flew to Italy this fall on BA and they were wonderful compared to US carriers, but know I'll just have to bite the bullet and take what Princess gives me.

I'm doing a 21 day back-to-back, flying to Heathrow and home from New York. I'm going to get nailed on the pre-cruise hotel but traveling alone I figure let the cruise line handle it. Even if the cruise line air/hotel/transfer is over a grand, for me to do it on my own would be at least that, too!

Well, I still have time to think about it!

Susie
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Went to Travelocity and logged in under My Stuff and put in different flight itineraries and hopefully something will pop up in the next month or so that is cheaper or it could go the other way and get higher with spring/summer coming.
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Passenger

I will be travelling on a transatlantic in September on the Constellation.
I just booked one way air from Boston to Heathrow on Aer Lingus for $275.

I looked around alot and this was the best offer I could find.
I noticed that Orbitz had a better selection of London flights than did Travelocity or Expedia. There are also alot of airline consolidators out there that had very good prices as well.

Keep checking before you spend that much money. By the way once I found the flight on Orbitz, I went to the Aer Lingus website to book and it was a bit cheaper.
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Passenger

That's a great price. I decided to use some of my airline points. Makes it a lot easier.

Where are you staying in London?