Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Default Port of Naples to Amalfi Coast?

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a train from the Port of Naples to Amalfi or Positano?
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Port of Naples to Amalfi Coast?

No train to Amalfi or Positano- only the SITA bus or ferries. You will probably not be able to find out the ferry schedule til it gets closer to summer but thats a possibility. The SITA bus runs from Naples to Positano and Amalfi but it is a long trip- two hours to get there...and it can be much longer than that with the heavy traffic on that road. Here's a website that might help.
http://www.dia.unisa.it/SCN96/how_to_reach.html

I found that some of the best money we spent on our last cruise was on a private driver for Naples. We went to Pompeii and did that spectacular Alalfi drive- lunch at a cliffside Positano restaurant. Splitting the cost with 6-8 people made it reasonable.

Best wishes.
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to catsandra
Default Re: Re: Port of Naples to Amalfi Coast?

What tour operator did you use in Naples? The ship charges 120 PP...is the tour you get with a private tour in van the same? Where did you have lunch, and how many euros was it? What did you have?
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Port of Naples to Amalfi Coast?

We used www.sorrentolimo.com
I don't remember how much it was as it was two years ago, but it was either excellent in everyway. I don''t remember the name of the restaurant but it was cliffside in Positano- wonderful food and gorgeous view.

You have to go with your gut on whether to do a private driver or ships tour. Lots of pros and cons....lot more variables with a private driver and if you miss the ship you are out of luck. Overall just because the group is more intimate and you can see more with a private driver I much prefer it over ships tours- thats the way we are going on the return cruise we are taking in April/May. Best wishes.
Old February 19th, 2005, 05:08 AM
cindycruise

We used Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi at info@driveamalfi.com and had a wonderful day.The Amalfi Coast is one place where you do not want to be stuck on a tour bus.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Daniel Sommers

There is no train.
Cindy you have my vote. Luckily we did not book on a bus tour of the ship. We were on the Splendour. I saw them around the Coast, forget about!
Our driver was Umberto of Benvenuto Limos (www.benvenutolimos.com). We had a great day with him, he is a character. We learned a lot and in we had a lot of fun. He also suggested an amazing restaurant for lunch.
I really want to go back to Italy. Enjoy Italy for me too.
Old February 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Judith03A@aol.com

there is regular bus service, take the inland route going to Amalfi, and return to Naples along the coast, buses usuallu leave from the Piazza Municipio, across the street from the port., why not check your Lonely Planet guide book for such information
Judith Adams

Old March 1st, 2005, 06:09 AM
Ali Castle

You will find that Naples is a very dirty place but there are some better areas. To see Amalfi the best way is to take a coach along the coast road. It is really hair raising but the views are absolutely stunning.

Amalfi itself is worthwhile for good Gelato.

Have fun

Ali Castle
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM
rob campbell

bollocks
Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Cindy777

What eating place was a good choice. We are using drivealmalfi also but Salvatore taken so we are having "associate". Does the driver tell you about stuff or do we need to hire someone a guide.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
cindycruise

Cindy777,

Your driver will be your guide and the only time you may need a guide is at Pompei .We ate at a place called the San Giovanni near Ravello.

Cindy
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
DonnaC

I don't think so. We're doing the Grand Princess May 26 Grand Mediterranean, and I've been researching the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii tours. I think the train only goes to Saleno, and that to get to Positano or Amalfi or Sorrento, you have to go by bus or other vehicle.

Donna
Old April 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Judith

No, buses are your best bet. They leave from the piazza across from the cruise terminal. Take the inland route down through the lemon groves and return by the seacoast route. It is safer as the bus will be on the inside of a narrow highway with a stJuditheep drop. You should also consult the Lonely Planet to Italy.
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Judith,
Given the choice, would you take a bus to the Amalfi Coast or the hydroplane/ferry to Capri/Sorrento? Which is the nicer trip IYO? Thanks.

Karen
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:53 PM
cantwait

Has anyone ever done Capri, Sorrento and Almafi drive (just to Positano ) in a day? If so , how?
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM
batewoman

Is the tour to Pompei Sorrento and Capri island too long and tiring did any9ne take it
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Passenger

I am going on the Celebrity Millenium June8-20, 2005 with my family of 7 and 4 other families. Our ages range from 11-late 40's and 1 baby (1 year of age in tow) Been there a few times years ago, but do not remember. got suggestions for any tours and either telephone or websites? Definitely want to do private tours for Naples-Pompeii, Athens, Rome, and Florence.
tjhanxs