CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   What To See At Sea in Medi? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/254234-what-see-sea-medi.html)

eriqua February 17th, 2005 11:41 AM

What To See At Sea in Medi?

Hi! Can anyone tell me what we can expect to see on days at sea in the Mediterranean. The Celebrity Galaxy will cruise Rome to Naples to Mykonos to Santorini to Sicily to Villefranche to Genoa and back to Rome. For those who have been this route, can we expect to see wildlife like whales or dolphins (I've never been on a big cruiseliner so don't know if this is a stupid question and if we go way to fast to even see these things) or other islands? Thanks

pooh1bear43113 February 18th, 2005 11:50 AM

Re: What To See At Sea in Medi?

We've not done this particular route, but have done several Med. cruises (and will do again on Millie in May) and if memory serves correctly, the only Island that I actually remember seeing while cruising was off Sicily - it was Stromboli - the volcano was really active the first time we cruised by - and it was late in the evening: beautiful sight......Can't specifically remember whales or anything - but we were so beat after spending days on shore excursions that we weren't really looking!

If your ship docks in Sicily (Messina?) - do try and get to Taromina (rough spelling, I know) but it is a really neat place to visit - there's not much to see in Messina - but there is a lovely park close by where the ship may dock....

You've booked a wonderful cruise and it sounds like a fabulous itinerary - and while we've never cruised on Galaxy - we can speak well about Celebrity! The best. (You WILL be treated "famously"!)

DavidB February 18th, 2005 02:28 PM

You will not see Whales
You may see porpoise and turtles,

You are in the Med, Agean and Caspian so land is not far away. To pick up on Poobear's point. If you are lucky enough to see Stromboli during the day, fantastic what a sight.

Actually, when you are at sea on a Euro cruise, then that is the time too chill out and get ready for the next port. You will have so seen much on shore, at sea is the chill, sleep and drink time.

Also hops are short in the med so you will come back from one port and then eat, drink and sleep, ready to start again the next day.

Dont worry about what to see at sea, you will be on overdose I promise from the land. Posted as someone who has done these ports on at least 6 diferent occasions and never gets tired of them

LindaM February 20th, 2005 05:51 PM

We saw lots of dolphins in the Med. We also saw some huge whales---not like the ones we saw in Hawaii. We are going on a similar cruise in June on the Millenium.