Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Default Do you know how much wine?

I am flying to Rome for a week before my cruise. Naturally, I have to clear Italian Customs when I enter the country and I want to bring wine with me for my cruise. Do you know how much wine I can bring in to Italy for my cruise?
JOE
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Andee

Default Re: Do you know how much wine?

You're going to bring wine TO Italy?

I'd suggest buying wonderful, inexpensive wine after you get there. That's what we did. It was less hassle and cheaper thatn bringing it from home, and shopping for it was fun.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Do you know how much wine?

My concern is the exchange rate, buying wine may be more expensive simply because of the value of the Euro. Besides, I have already bought my wine and I would rather spend my money on things in Europe that will be a special part of my vacation. Please understand, I do intend to drink Italian wine when I am in Italy, I am speaking of wine to bring on the ship to avoid the high cost of quality wine on board.
JOE
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Passenger

My concern is the exchange rate, buying wine may be more expensive simply because of the value of the Euro. Besides, I have already bought my wine and I would rather spend my money on things in Europe that will be a special part of my vacation. Please understand, I do intend to drink Italian wine when I am in Italy, I am speaking of wine to bring on the ship to avoid the high cost of quality wine on board.
I also wrote to the Italian consulate to find the answer, but they have not responded during the past two weeks.
JOE
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:17 AM
emm

Won't the corkage fee imposed by the cruiseline eat up any savings you will have by bringing the wine with you?
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
emm

taly
Duty Free

Duty Free: The following goods may be imported into Italy without incurring customs duty by passengers over 17 years of age arriving from countries outside the EU with goods bought duty-free:
200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 100 cigarillos or 250g of tobacco; 2l of wine and 1l of spirits (over 22 per cent) or 2l of fortified or sparkling wine; 50g of perfume and 250ml of eau de toilette; 500g of coffee or 200g of coffee extract (if over 15 years of age); 100g of tea or 40g of tea extract; gifts not exceeding 89.96 (if entering from an EU country), 174.82 (if entering from a non-EU country).

Abolition of duty free goods within the EU: On 30 June 1999, the sale of duty-free alcohol and tobacco at airports and at sea was abolished in all of the original 15 EU member states. Of the 10 new member states that joined the EU on May 1st 2004, these rules already apply to Cyprus and Malta. There are transitional rules in place for visitors returning to one of the original 15 EU countries from one of the other new EU countries. But for the original 15, plus Cyprus and Malta, there are now no limits imposed on importing tobacco and alcohol products from one EU country to another (with the exceptions of Denmark, Finland and Sweden, where limits are imposed). Travellers should note that they may be required to prove at customs that the goods purchased are for personal use only
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Do you know how much wine?

No corkage for enjoying in my room with a cheese platter from room service! Thanks for the info.
JOE
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:46 PM
charles katz

the answer that l recieved is that you cannot bring any wine with you,l asked about bring some wines with me from california and was told they will confiscate it. just go to a wine shop before boarding the ship and purchase some chianti classico and a nice
white. and you will be all set to party. bonvoyage charlie.