Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to pshel
Default BATHROOMS

I was wondering what the bathrooms are like in France, Italy etc? I have heard they are dirty and hard to find. My friend says 20 years ago they were called squat boxes. Not that I plan to have any problems but was just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: BATHROOMS

Facilities will vary greatly depending on where you are at. From my experience, they are certainly not as frequently found and/or accessible as we are accustomed to in the USA. Here in the states, in most populated areas, we have a multitude of fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc. where you can often walk into and use a restroom without any obligation to purchase something. That's not the case in much of Europe. Bathrooms are often hidden in the back of an establishment and it is pretty much expected that you will purchase something (a drink, coffee, etc.) before you ask to use them. Likewise it is not uncommon to find that you must also pay to use the facility. Permanent restroom kiosks/booths are common in cities and you pay a fee to get inside the door. I've seen some very ingenious bathrooms over there that may take you a minute or two to figure out (how to get in, how to get the auto-seat-cleaner to work, how to flush, etc.). I have found that the restrooms in most restaurants/bars are very small, but usually fairly clean. In tourist areas, restrooms are viewed as a moneymaker by the owner, so there might even be a person to collect your coins as you enter.

Just a few of my potty thoughts. Next time I'll share how I locked myself in a bathroom in Rome a few years back. I had to call for help. :-)
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Andre

And don't at all be surprised to find bathrooms that will be unlike anything you've ever seen in the U.S. (like you must squat over a hole in the floor). They still exist and can be found all over. But you also can find more American-style toilet bathrooms everywhere as well. The silver toilet kiosks that you will find in places like Paris work great, and aren't hard to figure out. Just be prepared - you aren't in America anymore.
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Beginner

Give me a break....squatting over a hole.....NOT!

We've traveled the globe six months per year the past five years from China, Africa, Cape Horn, Egypt, Australia, Tahiti, Greece , SIBERIA. yada yada yada, have also authored two travel guides and publish a quarterly travel newsletter.

You did say FRANCE and ITALY. Stick with DFWGUY62's savvy common sense advice. Do NOT expect to see holes in floors outside of very third world countries, like on our train from Nairobi to Mombassa!

Perhaps, carry a small pack of kleenex for those bathrooms that AS HERE sometimes are out of the needed toilet paper. As noted, public restrooms, AS HERE, are all too rare except the kool ones in Paris. We use RESTAURANT rest rooms. Buy that coke, coffee or Perrier and voila RESTROOM that will be usable and usually but not always giood or better on the clean scale. Enter any crowded restaurant with large contingent eating at outdoor tables and they can NOT determine you are not a customer so never a hassle. Above all NOT TO WORRY.
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Shirley25

I was recently in Italy and found the bathrooms to be cleaner than most public restrooms here in the US.
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Marlyne

If you go to St. Petersburg, the outhouse type toilets at Peterhof are terrible. Wait until you get inside. You pay more but it is worth it.
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:45 PM
susancruzs

I traveled around Italy for 18 days last fall and bathrooms were not an issue. Some were a little harder to find and more interesting than others but not a problem and we did not have to pay anywhere.

We did usually purchase a cup of coffee to use some. We went frequently, if we were in a public place that had restrooms, we used them. I went way more often than I would at home but did not want to have to find one in a hurry.

Some people have suggested McDonald's but we never did that. I don't go in McD's at home so why would I in Rome or Florence? I don't do fast food.

I always carry individually wrapped hand wipes with me and Wal Mart sells a cute roll of travel toilet paper, convenient size.

Susie
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
passaporta

Bathrooms will not be a problem, A "squat box" will be pretty hard to find. Finding a restroom in France & Italy will be the same as finding one in the US. Don't give it another thought.
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bathrooms in Italy

Funny thing, I was just reading my Foder's book on Rome today. What I found regarding bathrooms was interesting.

Toilets - men/women - gabinetti- uomini/donne

" You will find public toilets at railway stations and in larger museums, but otherwise they are few and far between. There are toilets in Piazza San Pietro, either side of the square, and others at the Colosseo."

"In other parts of Rome you will need to use the toilet in a bar or cafe. Although, they are obliged to let you use their facilities, staff prefer you to buy something."

"Facilities can be basic, to say the least. Toilet paper may or may not be provided, and sometimes there is only one toilet for both men and women. In some places there will be a dish for gratuities - you should tip around 25 c. Where separate facilities exist, make sure you recognize the difference between signori (men) and signore (women)."

PS I always carry a small travel size roll of TP with me when I travel outside of the country and keep a roll in my car at home.
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Beginner

Hey they can't be anyworse than Malaysia :-) They truly were squat boxes ! No all kidding aside I would say it's much like the US. Some are good and some are bad. If you are walking by a hotel I would run in and use that one if that's allowed