Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
jcfromfl

Default Barcelona hotels

Taking a Mediterranean Cruise this summer starting in Barcelona. Will be flying in the day before the cruise mainly to sleep. Anyone have a suggestion for a hotel. Would love someplace near the port for convenience sake. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Travel Mike

Default Re: Barcelona hotels

We stayed at the Regency Colon last September. This was a three star and good by European standards. The Colon was 100 feet away a four star and I am sure much more money. We were right on a large square with the Gothic Church. Ten minutes from the port. Based on the exchange rate it was about $180.00 per night. Not bad for any major city. This is a great city I wish I had planned to spend at least three days. Two as not enough time to see all the sites. Mike
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Passenger

I also stayed at the Regencia Colon. It was a good, clean reasonably priced hotel by European city standards. It was about a 15 Euro taxi ride from the port if I recall (including tip). It is very close to the major sites you will want to see in Barcelona (within walking distance to most of them, and within walking distance to the tour bus routes if you need those). Also, I booked my room there via Expedia with no problems whatsoever.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Emm

I have reservations for Apsis Atrium Palace for the end of June -- this hotel was recommended on the Cruise Critic forums, which I highly suggest visiting for Europe information -- and also check out if your sailing has a meet and mingle.

My rate was 130E a night -- for a double/ check their website for this price.

I also am flying in one day prior -- and after checking out all there is to see in Barcelona, wish I had made it a few more nights!
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Rene E. Gracia

westay Last year at the LLeo very close to everything and if I recall it was about 150 or so, the hotel is great close to everything, clean, ver but very comfortable. it is not a 5 star but., it is very nice has all the services you will need and is just a yards from Ramblas. You cna find the reservations and details yahoo travel, expedia, British airways, etc.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Parrot Mom

We have booked the Hotel Continental in Barcelona for two nights... it is located in the Ramblas, The price in October is 100 euros per night for the two of us, tax included and buffet breakfast, The best part is a friend just checked the hotel out and says we are very lucky..the rooms are small by American standards,bathrooms very clean and new.... and there is a small balcony where we can sit overlooking the Ramblas and it's at the end of the Ramblas where she loved the market...and not far from the port.. If you look at pictures you will see the port is at one end of the Ramblas... we are at the other end.. Now, I'm sorry we didnt book a third night.. If you need more info please write. I was quite surprised at their prompt replies.
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Again this year we stayed at the Gran Via Hotel on Gran via just north of the Ramblas. they have done extensive renovations and it is a grand hotel in a good area. Imagine free internet in a room with 12 foot celings and provincial furniture. Lovely roof-top patio. they provide a good (but not free) breakfast too. Staff is very helpful. You can wlak everywhere (except the port) from here. enjoy!
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Pooh Bear

Good luck with Atrium Palace: we booked thru their web site in September or October last year for a 2 day pre-cruise stay last month. I confirmed the rate (130/Euro/night) and dates 2 days before flying out - May 12. When we arrived, and the driver had unloaded all the luggage and left - we were told they would have to move us to their sister property: the Splendid. We were NOT happy but didn't know what else to do so they transported us to the Splendid. I was NOT impressed when I saw the hotel. It had no lobby so to speak (compared to the lovely lobby at the Atrium)....and the elevator was a tiny wreck of a thing. However, when we got to the room (a "junior suite"), they had waiting for us a chilled bottle of Cava with lovely crystal glasses. It surely helped to sooth the ruffled feathers. The room was, as has been mentioned before, small by American standards. However, the bathroom made up for the lack of room space! It was HUGE!! And all marble! with lots of amenities. The desk people were very nice and accommodating. From others we talked to who did stay at the Atrium, we gather that rooms were about comparable to what we had at the Splendid. And while I picked the Atrium initially because of the its location in respect to Las Ramblas - the Splendid was in the University District (guess that's what it was) - and it was not so far from everything - including the wonderful El Cortes Inglish (sp?) department store where you can purchase all of your pre-cruise supplies - including water and vino.

Sorry to go on and on - but just wanted to share our experience with you re Atrium Palace.

Oh, yes - I must mention Barcelona Taxi Tour Company! We booked via internet for a driver to pick us up at the airport on 5/13 and then to pick us up at the hotel on 5/15 to go to the pier: When we arrived at BCN, their driver, AURELIO, was waiting at baggage claim with a sign with our name. He brought our luggage to the car, made sure we were comfortable and provided wonderful information on the drive the the a/p to the hotel. We agreed on a time for him to pick us up at the Atrium Palace on the following Sunday and he left. The driver the hotel hired to move us to the Splendid was surly (at best!). Just NOT friendly. Fortunately, the Atrium manager telephoned AURELIO to advise him that we had changed locations and told him where to pick us up on Sunday. On Sunday, we were anxious to get to the pier, i.e., wanted to get there earlier than what we had told AURELIO. Hotel manager phoned AURELIO and asked him if he could come earlier: Long story short(er): AURELIO arrived within minutes of the phoned request....delivered us to the pier (again providing wonderful info on the areas we passed thru). Once at the pier, he grabbed a porter before he even started unloading the luggage - he would not let us touch the bags. He took care of every thing.

Just a suggestion: If you prefer having a cab/driver pre-arranged in Barcelona - contact Barcelona Taxi Tour - they charged us 25 Euros from A/P to hotel and 20 Euros from hotel to pier - friends said the cabs they picked up at the airport at the taxi stands charged separately for the luggage.
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM
judy cokely

Hi.
hope you have a great time..We have spent a vacation in Barcelona and recommend that you dont pass by the city sites there. We found a fantastic guide who helped us with hotels and a great tour. In our minds..well worth it. His name is Jose Soler. if you are in the states, you dial 011 34 before the regular phone number,,,,,,,the number i have for him is 001 34 615 059 326 . We are looking for med cruises for the fall...and hope to hook up with him then for another two days of touring..good luck!!
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
ehogan

We stayed at the Medium Monegal which was right on Placa Catalunya, at the end of the Ramblas. Fantastic location and you can walk there in one minute from the spot where the Aerport Bus drops you off. The hotel is fairly small, but very clean and we only paid $117 U.S. We booked through Hostel Europe so I was a bit worried about the quality, but we were very pleased with the hotel. We booked a double room (two twins) with bathroom.

Be careful in Barcelona of the pickpockets, even on the Aerport bus and at the airport terminal. We had two pickpocking attempts.
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:57 PM
gann

Pooh Bear
What is the web site of the Taxi Company. Did you ask for Aurelio, or just got him by chance. Not going till Nov., but would like to have a good company to contact.
Thank,.
Don
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Gillian

Did Barcelona a couple of years ago. Dont recall a hotel at the Port or within walking distance - so anything near the Ramblas is a viable option.

Pity you are there such a short time - the HOP ON AND OFF busses offer a 2 day pass and take you pretty much everywhere you will need to go. They leave from Plaza Catalunya at the top of the Ramblas.
Really great economical access to everything.

Wouldnt recommend our hotel though - think it was the Hotel Feron (I would have to check). PAPER THIN walls. and very loud plumbing.

Enjoy. Barcelona is terrific.

Gillian
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Re: Barcelona hotels

Do you have an e-mail address for them?
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Parrot Mom

Pooh Bear...thanks..just reserving AURELIO right now...for our arrival in Barcelona on October 12th.. Gillian... the Hotel Continental is in the Ramblas..the other end...if you want more info please write..
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Pooh Bear

Parrot Mom: Hope you'll be as pleased as we were with Aurelio - he's just so nice.

Gann: We didn't ask for anyone specifically - just the luck of the draw that we got Aurelio - or, perhaps, all the drivers are just - nice!

Their web site is: BARCELONATAXI.COM

e-mail address is: Taxibarcelona@hotmail.com.....

Another good web site for BCN and Bus Turistic is: http://www.Barcelona-on-line.es/eng/...s_turistic.htm

One ticket (think it was 17 Euros/pp) and you can ride all three buses - which pretty much covers all the area in and around BCN.

YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME! BCN is just a great town - and an easy town to walk....
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Parrot Mom

Parrot Pop has a bad ankle so I think we might do the Ramblas and market ourselves after checking in and then hire him for the entire next day to get to see as much as we can... and then have him pick us up to go to the port.. My husband is thrilled with your information..thank you so much.
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
gann

Pooh Bear,
Thanks for the information on the Taxi. Will e-mail them when the time is closer.
Thanks,
Dopn
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
gann

Pooh Bear,
Thanks for the information on the Taxi. Will e-mail them when the time is closer.
Thanks,
Dopn
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Benny

The best hotel near the port is the Hotel Marina, a Eurostar hotel. This is maybe a 5 euro ride to the dock. It has a wonderful black bottom pool on the roof where you can see your cruise ship. The clientel is fellow cruisers and wonderful Brits (not lager louts). Also, the breakfast buffet is one of the best in Spain. Another plus, the double decker tour bus has a stop right outside the hotel. This is an excellent way to see the city .The staff is gracious and will help you when you arrive at 7 AM from the airport.
I would advise against staying on Las Ramblas, which is noisy, farther from the pier, and known for pick pockets. Its so bad that honest Spanish people warned us to take care and be on guard. Barcelona is a great city go see Gaudi 's work, especially world famous Parc Gaulle. Benny&Boo
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Have stayed 5 times at DE L'ARC HOTEL Right on the Ramblas... Soft people judt f\do not like adventure its SAFE and great 50E per night bdon't know what most peoples problems are they just like 5 star 200 plus per night rooms I guess each to their Own