Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Passenger

Default Florence-Closed on Sunday?

We're on our first cruise to Europe, sailing June17th on the Brilliance. My question is, since we'll be in Livorno on a Sunday, will a trip to Florence mean closed up shops and attractions in the city?
Should we take a tour to Amalfi instead?
Hope that some one who's been to this port can answer my questions.
Thanks,
Georgina
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM
jmorse

Default Re: Florence-Closed on Sunday?

You should be fine on a Sunday. We just came back from Florence and Monday is the day that the major galleries are closed. They are open on Sundays. The only thing that I think is closed Sunday is the Brunelleschis Dome (Giottos Tower) and The Duomo Museum. The Uffizi and Academia are open on Sundays. Don't miss out on a chance to see Florence. One thing I would recommend for sure is to go to the Duomo (Santa Maria del Fioro Cathedral) even though you cant go up the tower on Sundays I beleive. It was the most beautiful building that I saw in all our 7 ports, exterior wise. We were in awe of this building and walked around is several times and just sat and stared at it. Great pictures too. There is so much to see just walking around the streets that we did not even have time to see the Ufizzi or Academia even if they were open. Beautiful fountains and statues around every corner. Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Florence-Closed on Sunday?

To jmorse - thank you for your reply as we are just getting ready to pre-book our tours with the cruise line. We were thinking of booking the Florence and Pisa on your own tour, using the ships transportation but having our own time to see the sights.

As this is our first trip to Europe, I'd like to know if the people in the cities
dress the same as us as far as summer attire. Do the women wear capris at all and since it's hot, will walking shorts be acceptable wear for my husband?

Thank you,
Georgina
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
jjmorse

Default Re: Re: Re: Florence-Closed on Sunday?

I wore Capris myself and I have to say just as in the US there was a big variety in what people were wearing. There were people in Jeans and people in dress pants etc. Wear whatever you are comfortable in. It is a bigger deal in Rome as they actually wont let you in some buildings with shorts. Lots of walking in Florence and I went with sneakers and was glad I did. Think about it, who the heck cares what you are wearing for shoes, you might as well be comfortable. You will be fine in Florence on your own, very easy to get around to the sites, an organized tour would be a waste here. Enjoy your trip.
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Patann

I just returned from Livorno. It is a dreary industrial city. It was closed the day we were there some bank holiday. Lucca and Pisa are both nearby and can be reached by train. Our ship shuttle took us to a drop off in city where we had to catch a bus to train station. Some people caught the bus going to wrong direction. Be sure of the drirection on the NO. 1 bus before you get on. Then ten minutes to station and about 15 to Pisa with Lucca a little further. You have to change trains in Pisa. I know this sound complicated it really isn't. Our ships information was incorrect. They said Florence would be closed for holiday and it was open. Hope this helps. Don't plan to go or do anything in Livornio. Our entire ship was unhappy with this port as we had an overnight here and expressed it to the cruiseline at the end of the cruise.
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:12 PM
trackypup

To clarify.....Florence is a city, it doesn't close....some of the art galleries do on a Monday. I can't imagine being unhappy that we would overnight near Tuscany.
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Patann

Default Re: Re: Florence-Closed on Sunday?

Imagine sunset over the oil containers in a shipyard. That was the view for two days.
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:01 AM
trackypup

Too bad you decided to stay on the ship with such beautiful scenery nearby. I would have certainly taken the opportunity to "explore".