Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Default Naples Tour - which one?

Would like some opinions from anyone who has taken either the Amalfi Drive - Sorrento & Naples tour with the ship's shore excursion or the Capri, Sorrento & Pompeii tour.
This is not a port where we would "do our own thing", so need to decide which one to book. Any comments on the experiences pro or con of either tour would be appreciated.
This board is so helpful with us first-timers to Europe!
Georgina
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:03 AM
Stu49Man

Default Re: Naples Tour - which one?

We used Salvatore of Driveamalfi for a Tour of the Amalfi Coast and a visit to Pompei.He can be reached by email at info@driveamalfi.com.
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:30 PM
Rene E. Gracia

I am providing some details on what we have done last year for our trip.

Naples – Plan day will be to visit Pompeii and then Sorrento. Again another early start. As soon you exit the ship cross to the “Porta Marina - Stazione Maritima”, turn left towards the parking lot once you are on the parking lot at 2 o’clock you will see lots a taxis, at 11 o’clock direction you will see the Hydrofoil station for Sorrento and Capri. (If you decided that you would like to visit Capri or Sorrento only instead then just walk about 150 yards).

To go to Pompeii we had two alternatives take a taxi or take a bus to Pompeii, we decide to take the bus, that gives you the opportunity to see other areas and is much less expensive considering that we where 6, so here we go – We cross the parking lot and a V.C Colombo the big avenue just across de terminal, we turn right in 100 yards there is a little street turn right and in 300 feet is the bus station. We bought our tickets to Pompeii and after 30 minutes ride you are at the footsteps of Pompeii (Ask the bus driver to let you know where Pompeii is). Cross the street and walk up the street in front of you and in about 100 yards on your right is the entrance to Pompeii.

You can visit Pompeii very nicely in about 2 to 3 hrs so by this time is about 11:30 or so, when you start exiting Pompeii at the bottom of the exit hill turn to your right. You will like to exit Pompeii at the same door you came in! (Return your electronic guides at the door if you rented some). Unless you are planning to return to Naples after Pompeii via bus then exit at the door at the bottom and go where the bus drop you of course towards the other direction.

If you are planning to return by train to Naples or you want to go to Sorrento then exit the same entrance you came in and turn right. The Train station is about 250 feet on your left side. The train back to Naples (Circumvesuviana) closes to the Stazione Maritima is about a 1 km distance from the pier.

If you are traveling to Sorrento like we did. Take the train to Sorrento and in 20 minutes you are there. When you exit of the train Station you will be at Plaza de Curtis and across is the Piazza A. Lauro Turn left at Corso Italia in two or so blocks on your left you will see Piazza Tasso and on your right is a ravine at the bottom of it is Via De Maio at the bottom of the ravine is the Hydrofoil Terminal to Naples and Capri. Ask someone about the Hydrofoil schedule to Naples. If I recall we took one around 4:00 pm (but check the schedules – You can even check the schedules before leaving the Stazione Maritima in the morning) we eat first in a little restaurant next to the ravine.

In order to reach the “Marina Piccola Porto” you can walk down the “Via de Maio” to reach it walk one block more and turn right into Via degli Archi and heads into “Via de Maio” walk down and on your left you will notice a balcony with the most incredible view of the port and the waters of Sorrento, in about 50 yards from the balcony on the left side of the road take the stairs that go down - they will take all the way down to the Marina. And that is it!

The hydrofoil terminal is about 150 yards distance from the “Stazione Maritima” where the Millennium will be docked.

if you need any further info let me know.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Naples Tour - which one?

Rene,
Thanks for all the great info. Did you also do Florence and see Pisa on your own. If so, can you describe those details as well. This is our first time visiting these areas.
Georgina
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
Ken&MK

My wife and I are arriving in Naples on the Galaxy on June 25th and are looking to share a private car with english speaking driver for a tour of the Amalfi Drive and Sorrento. For four it is about $450 Euro total. A much better way to see it than via bus. When will you be there. I can give you the web site if interested.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Passenger

We're in Naples on the 20th of June, so can't consider sharing your tour. Hope you have a great time!
Georgina
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:17 AM
dog-house@rogers.com

We've just returned from a cruise on the Med. To avoid hassles we booked ship's tours and were not disappointed. Pompeii was awesome as was Pisa. Just be careful not to plan too many long days on shore. We had 1 session of 8 hours but the rest took only 4or 5. We returned to the ship with memories and some energy.
My big warning, though, is Naples. It was not a comfortable place (and we were warned on board) If you buy from street vendors, beware! One staff member bought a camera and when he returned to the ship found it had been turned into a stone ($200!)
don't wear you fancy jewellery ashore either.
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Benny

We have done both tours. Capri is fanastic to do on your own. The Amalfi drive is tour only. I would urge you not to rent a car and attempt to drive it on your own. There are over 1,000 hairpin turns and the road is filled with crazed Vespa drivers. The view between Sorrento and Amalfi is breathtaking, better to enjoy it in an airconditioned coach with experienced driver.
A warning to all those whose cruise begins in Civicheccia/rome. The cabs at Romes Fiumicino Airport are well known gonifs. They rountinely demand 200 euros to downtown Rome and tried to ripoff us to a nearby hotel, which was unsuccessful
If your cruise begins that day take the cruise shuttle to port. If you arrive early call your hotel beforehand to coordinate an airport pickup. Never take a cabbie who greats you inside the terminal, he has sized you up as a pigeon. If you have a problem with a cab write down the cab plate and report it to the Polizia Tourista, not local police. It is better to take to cruise shuttle for $85 then cab for over 200 euros. We actually heard some cruisers complain about the shuttle cost! I hope next time they try to save by taking a cab! You do not want to take a train loaded with bags from the station to cruise docks. Rome is a beautiful city if you can get to your hotel with your wallet still full. Benny&Boo
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM
ehogan

We just did the Amalfi/Sorrento/Naples tour and were quite happy with it. It is a long tour, but we had a delightful break for lunch at a restaurant with a three course meal on the Amalfi Coast. Also had a time on your own in the town of Amalfi which was lovely to walk around. The Amalfi coast is brilliant, not to be missed - we had originally hesitated because of the cost of the tour but it is a once in a lifetime deal so we were very glad we did it. I am not quite sure why they mention Naples as part of the itinerary because we drove straight back to the ship from Sorrento (there was an accident on the freeway which did delay us slightly so perhaps that is why).

You can't do this on your own so a tour is a good way to go.

Enjoy!
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Maureen51

A Tour with the wonderful Salvatore from Driveamalfi (info@driveamalfi.com),we toured Pompei,Positano,Amalfi,Ravello and Sorrento.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:32 AM
lpd

I'm very interested in taking the Amalfi tour, but the description of the 1,000 hairpin turns concern me :-) I've got two kids (3 & 6), and I don't know if they will enjoy the car ride on this tour. Has any one taken this tour with kids? Would people prone to motion sickness have a problem?
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Ship's tours from Naples are very expensive and this is one of the best ports in all of Europe with much to see in any direction. The public train gets you to Pompei in about 40 minutes for a few bucks. If you want to go south, buddy up with some folks on the ship and hire a driver in Naples or arrange this before you arrive. The Amalfi drive is not to be missed. Four of us hired a driver for a day and we visited Amalfi, Positano, Ravello and Sorrento. I don't believe it cost more than $250 for all of us but that was about four years ago.

You can tour this area independently at a much lower cost--and you will see MORE!
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to catsandra

are you on a cruise......I just got back and defintely tell you if you book a tour go with Driveamalfi.com. We did pompeii and also amalfi. I'm from California and thought our coastlines and view could not be matched but the whole thing was like a storybook. This tour company is the best I had in all 5 cities. Write me if you want more answers Sydneyalice@aol.com
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to catsandra

I'm prone to car sickness......no this does not make you sick...too beautiful too pass up
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Beginner

We just returned last week. We did Amalfi coast tour with DriveAmalfi also. They are spectacular ! Very good. We had Roberto, he was personable, funny and very knowledgeable, great English too ! This private trip was loads cheaper than the ships excursion and much more personable and comfortable. What a beautiful area. This was our favorite stop !!
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Marion Paris

Thanks for all your comments. We are also booked with driveamalfi and are very excited about going on the Galaxy on September 16. It is always hard to select the tour company..........glad they have such rave reviews!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
joepenko

Hey,

You can easily due Naples on your own. I found it to be the easiet port to access from the ship's dock. You can either take a short cab to the train station (1-2 miles), then catch the train which takes you to first Pompeii then after touring the ruins to Sorrento. From there you take a Hydrofoil from Sorrento directly back to the Ship(20 minutes).If you do not like this package you take a Hydrofoil to Capri(from the dock, Capri to Sorrento and hydrofoil Sorrento back to the ship.This trip (sept 5, galaxy) i will be taking a hydrofoil from the dock to Sorrento, then I am renting a motorcycle to take down the Almafi coast to Posiatano.

good luck and feel free to email me with other questions concerning ports we did Barcelona to Venice last year, no ships tours. PS- if you do get to Pomeii, make sure you pay the 5-10 euro for a guide, it is important. Try to get the guy who looks like Cary Grant!
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Familiar Face

We did the Amalfi Coast years ago on a bus and I definitely got motion sick. but it is beautiful and not to be missed - we plan to return. take something for motion sickness and play it safe. you will have great respect for the drivers on this tour because it is only for the very experienced and brave.
thanks for all the info - we plan to do the Grand Princess next year and I'm doing my own homework.