Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Gillian

Default Norwegian Fjords info please

Hi

I cannot believe how little is written on cruising to this region.

Someone out there must have done it - and we woud love some tips.
From excurions to take - clothing for July etcetera....

I hope we get replies this time..

Regards
Gillian
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Norwegian Fjords info please

We took RCCL the summer before 9/11. It was very beautiful, but COLD!! We took a tour where we were at a high altitude and it was 32 f.

I don't have my brochure, so I do not remember the tours we took. Which ones were you considering? I know I tried really hard to make sure we saw everything.

Just make sure you take the tours where you get to see inland Norway.

My husband loved it, but it was not my most favorite cruise. It was too cold to enjoy the cruise decks. We are going back to the Med. in 3 weeks---that's my kind of cruise.
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Gillian

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Fjords info please

Hi

Thank you so much for replying.

We have heard such mixed reports about the weather - hot and cold and inbetween. With a 20kg luggage allowance and 12 days (nights) on board - we are pretty unsure about how to do this.

I have to look u the two tours we were considering. Neither are cross country - which are well over $100 plus. These two go to viewpoints from Gerienger - but I will look up the detail.

In brochures tourists are walking around in tank tops and shorts - if not in July WHEN could that be?

Any - and all - info will be so appreciated.

Regards
Gill
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Marlyne

Geiranger is a beautiful fjord. We were there in mid July about 3 years ago and Norway was having record heat, in the 90's in Bergen. We took the Norwegian Coastal Voyage from Bergen to the top. There were places where it was cooler, but it was never really cold even at midnight. We spent a lot of time on our balcony in the middle of the night since it was a perpetual sunset sunrise from about 11:30 pm to 2 or 3 AM. I probably did have a jacket on at times.
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM
gillian

Thanks Marlyne.

I think we are going to pack for all seasons - but minimally. Hoping for sunshine and warm weather for the most part!

Gillian
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
retired1

Hi, We were on the Fiord cruise last June. We absolutely loved the scenery. One on our favorite tours we took as an excursion from the ship (we usually tour independently). The ship left us off in a tiny port and we took a bus tour that took us to Voss. From Voss we took a train and then caught the Flam Railroad. ( we saw some amazing sights). We met the ship in Flam in the afternoon. Our cruise went up past the Arctic Circle. The Midnight Sun is really something to see!! The weather was on the chilly side...in fact, we had some snow in Bergen. If you need more information, I'll check my notes. I can't remember all the ports, glaciers, etc!
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Gillian

Hi Retired1

Thank you for your mail - and we would love more info if you can look back for us.

It was interesting to see how you had chilly weather and the person who mailed before you - had nice warm weather... another affirmation that we need to be prepared for anything I guess.

Unfortunately we are not going to Flam - we are going to Bergen, Stavanger and Geiranger.
In Bergen we are planning on doing the little trian ride through town and then walking, in Stavanger we intend walking but in Geiranger we are looking at doing either a ship excursion (but to where) or a local one (but have no clue what is offered.)

Any info will be a help.

Regards
Gillian
South Africa
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Norwegian Fjords info please

Hi Gillian, Bergen is a beautiful town. It was fun re-living our trip as I read my notes! In Bergen, another fun thing to do is ride the funicular up to the top. There is a park at the top with beautiful views of the city. The funicular is a bus on tracks. It climbs right up the mountain. In Geiranger, we took a tour from the ship. It took us to the mountain top for views of the glacier. Unfortunately, there was a cloud cover and we didn't see the glacier...and, the bus trip was the scariest thing I had done in a long time. As we were nearing the top of the mountain, we had to travel on switchbacks.(no guardrails) I would look down see nothing!!! Colser to the town though, the views of the fiords are beautiful. In Stavanger, the ship docks right in town. If you like to shop, this is the posrt for you. Everywhere you turn, there is another street with little shops. The people are all really nice too. You can e-mail me if you have more questions...luv2paynt@aol.com. It is a beautiful trip...Have fun, Vicki