Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Eduin

Default tours in Athens ?

anyone knows how far is the port from Athens?.. I am trying to see if I can do the sight seeing on my own.... some advise from previous experienced cruisers in this port would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: tours in Athens ?

The port for Athens is in a suburb city called Pireaus which is located about 4 or 5 miles from the center of Athens. The two cities have essentially merged into one. It is a short taxi ride from the port to the major sites of Athens. Taxis are quite common around the major sites when you want to see things that you can't walk to.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM
gillian in South Africa

Default Re: tours in Athens ?

Hi

Its easy to do Athen on your own.

The port is Pireaus and its about a half hour comfortable flat walk to the metro. But a couple of years ago the taxi to the metro was five euros - worth it in the heat.

We took the metro to Syntagma Square I think it was (their parliament is there) - and its a nice downhill walk to the Plaka which is a tourist area - a must for the vibe.

There is a little train in the area that will take you on a n hour or sos tour and show you some of the sights - a nice way to rest your feet for a while.

To then get to the Acropolis I think you could do the metro - but would need to double check me. Otherwise a cab.

More than that - well I have been to Athens a couple of times and those are the 2 must do's.

What else did you want to do there?

Regards
Gillian
South Africa
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:00 AM
Eduin

Default Re: Re: tours in Athens ?

Thanks for the reply guys... It will be my first time in Athens so acropolis is a must... from there any recommendations are appreciated ;-)
Eduin