Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
neilp

Default European Cruising

Hey all this site helped me out so much on my last trip – and now I’m planning a big one and could use some steering in the right direction. I am hoping to go on a hone moon cruise in Europe next year – coincidently I ask my love to marry me on this last cruise we took. I however am coming up a bit short in my research. There is so much info on the net about cruises that it all gets jumbled.

Here is what I would like out of my cruise – 7-12 nights, we would like to see a few different countries, a decent sized boat, and I would also like it to be more towards the top of the luxury scale. What cruise lines should I be looking at? What are some of the more infamous ports in Europe? Can anyone point me to some concise information on Cruising in Europe.

One last thing – If I could port out of Amsterdam that would be awesome as I love that city and would love to spend a night or two there before cruising. Does anyone have any information on cruising out of Amsterdam? Like I said I’ve found information but nothing concise. Just the name of a cruise line that cruises out of Amsterdam would be a big help..

Thanks

Neilp
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Willy Paul

Default Re: European Cruising

I think Celebrity would meet your needs. We did a Celebrity cruise on the Century a few years ago. Be sure to spend some time in Amsterdam before or after the cruise, a great city.
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Beginner

My husband and I went on the Med cruise on Celebrity's Millineum ship for our honeymoon may 2005. It was wonderful! It was a 12 day, left from Venice went to Croatia, Greece, Italy, France and Spain. I highly recommend this cruise.
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

NeilP--we are doing a 12-night Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords cruise on RCI's Jewel of the Seas in June. We've booked an RCI 3-night pre-stay in London. (June 16-18) Then we leave Harwich on the 19th with stops in Villefranche (France), Plymouth, Dublin, Ringaskiddy (Cork), Greenock (Glasgow) and several stops in the fjords. Our last port is Amsterdam, before returning to Harwich. We return home July 1.
We booked the pre-stay two weeks ago because we didn't want to be in London and not see anything but the airport. Our cruise/pre-stay package includes airfare, all transfers and 3 continental breakfasts in London. We'll tour London on our own, but book a bus tour to Canterbury, Dover and Leeds Castle with a local tour company that is highly recommended and 1/2 the price of RCI's tours.
We booked this cruise in May '05 because last year's had sold out very fast and booking as ASAP gave us better prices.
We are really excited about this trip, especially since we can sort of see light at the end of the tunnel. We've never sailed on Jewel or any Radiance-Class ship, but everyone who has posted an opinion says Jewel is the most beautiful ship they've sailed on. Of course, we have loved all the ships we've sailed on, so have no doubt this will also be wonderful.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Exlplorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Passenger

My husband and I did the Jewel of the Seas British Isles/Fjords cruise last year. This was one of my favorite cruises in the 20+ we've done. The Norweigan fjords are breathtakingly beautiful - a very romantic cruise. We arrived in London two days prior to the cruise and stayed at a small B&B very near the Victoria Coach (bus) Station. RCCL offers transfers from Victoria Coach Station to the pier at Harwich. We found it very convenient. Check your TA on this transfer. Have fun.
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Admiral

NeilP,

Here is what I would like out of my cruise – 7-12 nights, we would like to see a few different countries, a decent sized boat, and I would also like it to be more towards the top of the luxury scale. What cruise lines should I be looking at? What are some of the more infamous ports in Europe? Can anyone point me to some concise information on Cruising in Europe.

A cruise to Europe is a very different expeience than a cruise to most other desitnations. Nearly all of the ports of call are very rich in history, culture, art, and architecture, so shore excursions tend to be "all day" affairs that leave the ship around 8:00 or 8:30 in the morning and return around 5:30 or 6:00 in the afternoon, with lunch included and little real "down time" -- and it really does not matter where in Europe you go. You will get to see a lot more of your destinations by taking excursions from the ship than by attempting to tour independently because the excursions have reserved times at museums, palaces, and other attractions that typically have long lines awaiting admission.

The cost of flying to Europe is such that shorter cruises (less than twelve days) simply are not worthwhile.

If you are looking for an upscale line, Celebrity certainly would be a very good choice. Celebrity now deploys four ships to Europe.

>> MV Galaxy and GTS Millennium spend the entire summer and fall in teh Mediterranean, this year.

>> MV Century and GTS Constellation offer cruises to the Baltic Sea, respectively operaitng round trip from Amsterdam and from Dover, with additional cruises to other destinations, this year.

All of Celebrity's itineraries offer phenomenal ports of call, so you may bo best to start wherever you get a good deal and leave the rest of the itineraries for future years.

Finally, be sure to book a cruise either early (May) or late (October or November) in the season if you are going to the Mediterranian. The summer months (June, July, August, and September) tend to be very hot thruoghout the Mediterranean region -- which would be fine if you were going to the beach, but it's misearble for touring and sightseeing.

Have a great cruise, whichever you choose!

Norm.

Have a great cruise, whichever you choose!

Norm.