Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
Dave guest

Default Renting a car in Marseille

My wife and I and two teenage kids will be sailing on Splendour of the Seas our of Barcelona on Sept. 3, 2005.

We are going to explore most of the ports on our own, as I have no trouble with the local transportation systems and I've always found the ships tours to be too slow and structured (as well as expensive).

I'd like to rent a car in Marseille and spend the afternoon driving around Provence.

The problem is, the ship is in port on Sunday, and the car rental places at the train station are closed that day. Does anyone have any advice about renting a car in Marseille? I'm trying to avoid going to the airport to pick one up. But if I do, is there a convenient train or bus from the port to the airport? How far away from the port is the airport?

I've read on some other posts about people finding car rental companies that either operate near the port or will drop the car off for you at the port, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

If the car rental idea falls apart, I'll likely jump on a train to Aix en Provence. How far is the train station from the port? Can you walk?

We are really into wine and would like to stop by a chateau in Provence. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Avis at Gare St Charles is open at 8am.