Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Eduin

Default transfer to port in rome

I am booked for princess 12 day med tour next sept 23rd. We would spend 2 days in rome pre tour. Can anyone suggest the most affordable way to get to the port. I made an inquiry and got a quote of 170 euros. Is that about right?... help anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Marion Paris

Default Re: transfer to port in rome

That is a very high quote. You can do better than that.

He also does tours in Rome. We are cruising on September 16 on the Galaxy and a lot of us have booked Stefano for transfers and tours. His rates are the best I have seen - 125 euro. He has been very accommodating and our entire message board is using him.

Good luck and let him know I recommended you.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Marion
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Leon Guy

You will spend between 125 and 175 Euros. No matter what you spend, taxi or limousine or private tourguide/driver is the best way to get to the port. And make sure he will take you to the very gangway of your ship. Civitavecchia (Rome's port) is huge and has hundreds of ship berths.

If you ever consider doing public transportation to Civitavecchia beause the cost is inexpenisve, I would fore-warn you that getting to your ship's pier is a most difficult and daunting task to try to tackle by yourselves with all your luggage. Take your ship-offered transfer shuttle, a taxi, or a limo, and get yourself right to your ship's pier.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:06 AM
Eduin

Default Re: Re: transfer to port in rome

Thanks guys... most appreciated!!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
ehogan

We took the train from Rome to the Civitavecchia port in May. We were staying in the Spanish Steps area and took the Metro to Termini Station and the Train from there to the port. The cost was 4 euro per person and the trip was about an hour long. At the train station in the port, we took an easy 10 minute walk along the seashore to the port entrance where there were free ship shuttles to the various ships.

This is doable if:

You have limited luggage (we had one wheeled carryon and one wheeled medium sized bag each). Wheeled luggage is a must.

You are able to carry your luggage up and down a flight of stairs at both Termini and the station at the port and you are able to lift the bags onto the train.

You leave as early in the morning as you can ( we left at 9AM) in case you run into problems.

You know whether or not your ship offers a shuttle from the port entrance to the ship
(This is a bit difficult since when I phoned RCCL pre cruise they said no, but when we were actually there, most ships had free shuttles available)

I would also only take the train if the ship was leaving in the evening (ours left at 7PM)

Advice if you choose to take the train:

Make sure you are at the correct platform number, ask a ticket agent because the boards are confusing and often only show the last stop of the train as the destination.

Familiarize yourself with the train schedule and the stops so that you can monitor the stations before Civi. This is more to prevent anxiety than anything else

Check on www.seekitaly.com to see if there are any train strikes scheduled for the day you use the train

You don't need to prebuy tickets on the internet unless you are planning to use the Eurostar - but if you feel more comfortable doing that, know that you have to get your actual ticket by punching in the code Trenitalia gives you and you can only do this at the entrance to the Termini Station.

I know it sounds complicated, but I am a very apprehensive traveler and non-risk taker so if I can do it anyone can (barring physical limitations)

Do what you feel most comfortable with and have fun.
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Judith03A@aol.com

the train from Roma Termini station, the main station is 4 Euros, about $5, with hourly service to Civitavecchia, about an hour and a half ride, it is essentially a commuter train, when you arrive you can take a taxi or walk to the port, a 10 minute walk downhill, just did the reverse in May getting off the Galxy's Transatlantic crossing.
Judith Adams

Old October 7th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Passenger

How punctual are the trains from Rome to Civitavecchia? What would you suggest as the last arrival time of a train into Civitavecchia when we need to be back on board at 6:30 (ship leaves at 7). Does it matter if it is EuroStar, IC, or Regional in regards to punctuality? Thanks in advance.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Hi

I agree virtually 100% with the person who posted the long erply.

The train is so easy. And I sem to recall escalators at one end of Termini - but needless to say didnt find them when we had our luggage.

We have used the train for Civitavechia twice - once with and once without luggage.

Its easy BUT dont try walk it to the pier from the station unless you KNOW there are shuttle busses at the Port entrance. The distnace from the entrance to the Port terminus and where the ships are docked can be HUGE.
And we did - two women - with our luggage the first time. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

Orient Lines had a shuttle but we expected to see it at the train station. Why it didnt stop for us in the middle of the Port I am not sure.
Celebrity had the shuttle to the entrance.

If not sure from the station get a taxi. A couple of years ago they quoted us 10 Euro. We could see the Port so said no - did we regret it!

The train ride will take about an hour and a half. And ths is where I disagree with the earlier reply. You dont have to go all that early. There are regular trains - and if you are in Rome beforehand - take the time to go to Termini and find out what time they run. Lets say you can board at 3. Plan to arrive at say 2. Because even if you board at 3 you wont depart till 6 or so. My advice - JUST IN CASE make sure that if you miss the train you plan for - the one after must still get you there in time. Make it as stress free as possible.

And remember every time a ship docks in Civitavechia - passengers are using the trains into Rome. Its a very popular route.

Doubt this would happen too often - but sailed out of Southampton onthe QE2 in July - and we waited quite a while for a few late passengers. Our first day was going to be at sea so the captain reckoned there wasnt a problem giving them a little leeway!
Nice fella! Lucky people.

Enjoy!