CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Determining departure flight time from London Airports (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/301262-determining-departure-flight-time-london-airports.html)

jrowland September 21st, 2005 06:21 PM

Determining departure flight time from London Airports

Hi,
In process of doing some pre-planning for a possible cruise out of one of the ports in England; Southhampton, Dover or Harwick. Haven't made final choice of a particular cruise as wanted to find out more about time needed to get from cruise ship back to the airport. Wanted to get your suggestions on how early I could safely schedule a return fligh from Heathrow or Gatwick taking into account the time I would actually disembark from the cruise ship and travel to either of the above mentioned airports. I was thinking of taking a train from the port to London.

Thanks.

Mike M September 22nd, 2005 06:55 PM

I would not take a flight earlier than 3:00 PM London time. Remember London is 5 hours ahead of New York. This would give you time for debarkation and transfer.

If you aren't doing pre-cruise in London I would suggest spending at least a couple of days there. It's a wonderful city that has a lot to offer in terms of culture, history and just a great place to visit.

Take care,
Mike

peck September 24th, 2005 04:43 AM

www.thetrainline.com will enable you to find infirmation on any UK trains and also to book in advance sometimes you will get a cheaper fare depending on time and date of travel also you can pre-book seats on the train so you will know you have a gaurnteed seat and wont have to stand up which can happen on busy trains.www.thetrainline .com

DavidB September 25th, 2005 03:51 PM

As a cruiser and based in the UK, I could give you a good idea, but all of those ports have different rail services (re frequency of service). Pick a port, look at the ship docking time and I'm sure I can figure it out for you.

Send me a PM if you want me to look further

kazover40 November 9th, 2005 07:09 AM

Re: Determining departure flight time from London Airports

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrowland
Hi,
In process of doing some pre-planning for a possible cruise out of one of the ports in England; Southhampton, Dover or Harwick. Haven't made final choice of a particular cruise as wanted to find out more about time needed to get from cruise ship back to the airport. Wanted to get your suggestions on how early I could safely schedule a return fligh from Heathrow or Gatwick taking into account the time I would actually disembark from the cruise ship and travel to either of the above mentioned airports. I was thinking of taking a train from the port to London.

Thanks.

A lot of the cruise lines sailing into Southampton/Dover have private coaches at a nominal fee back to Gatwick Airport! You can book in advance, or book on board!

Amir764 January 3rd, 2006 04:40 AM

Look around

You should really look into what other people said about this...