Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Default Jewel Transatlantic Repositioning Cruise--April 30 sailing

Never been to Europe--
Will be stopping at Ponta Delgado, Azores
Funchal Maderia, Portugal
Rome
Florence
Villefranche, France
Ending in Barcelona Spain

Any advise as to what to see? Will be staying in Barcelona 3 days and flying onto Amsterdam for 3 days before returing to US.

Can't wait although I'm nervous about the language barriers. Should we get an electronic translator?

All and any advise will be greatly appreciated.........
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Jewel Transatlantic Repositioning Cruise--April 30 saili

My wife and I are on the same ship and same date as yourselves. As for the ports of call, its going to be a new experience for us both, neither of us have visited these ports of call before. We are waiting for Norwegian to release their excursions at their website, we were told sometime in the next 2 weeks? You can gather a lot of info on this site and on cruise-critic.com. Don't worry about the language issue, I am originally from England and have always found much to my personal embarrassment that english is widely spoken . That said, its always a good thing to have a knowledge of some of the most widely used words and phrases, I think its appreciated on the whole by the people that live in the different countries.

Have a wonderful trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSS
Never been to Europe--
Will be stopping at Ponta Delgado, Azores
Funchal Maderia, Portugal
Rome
Florence
Villefranche, France
Ending in Barcelona Spain

Any advise as to what to see? Will be staying in Barcelona 3 days and flying onto Amsterdam for 3 days before returing to US.

Can't wait although I'm nervous about the language barriers. Should we get an electronic translator?

All and any advise will be greatly appreciated.........
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Default Never been to Europe....

...well, neither had we, and it was the most wonderful experience of our lives. Don't worry about the language barrier-it's part of the fun. If you need directions on the street, ask a teenager-they love practicing their english on you! Barcelona is very cosmopoltan and cool-if you can spend extra time there, go for it. Rome-do the tour thing because there is so much to see that you need a guide to get it all in. Villefranche is enchanting. You can do it on your own, and get the bus to either Monoco or Nice-or both!!! I'll never forget riding the bus back from Monoco with a group of schoolchildren-probably about 6th graders-all chatting and calling on their cell phones and having the usual drama. It is the same everywhere, in every language. That is what makes a European vacation so life altering-it makes the world much smaller.
If you need a break from big cities, try an excursion to Lucca if your ship offers it. We missed Florence to see this, but what we gained was unforgettable. I would go back in a heatbeat.
To sum up-don't worry. Relax, have fun, soak up the culture and become a citizen of the world! We are going again in September!