Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Default Taxi from Civitavecchia to Rome (FCO) airport

Did anyone take a taxi from Civitavecchia to Rome (FCO) airport ?
How much was it and how easy to get one at the pier ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Passenger

Hi

Is there a reason you want to take a taxi? The train station is very nearby and the trains are frequent.

They go to the Termini - main station in Rome and you can always do a taxi from there.

Gillian
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Passenger

Default Take the Train

I agree with the other poster...Take the train and save 200 euros....It's about 25 Euros and will take you to the main train station in rome. You can google italian train and you will find the main italian train line.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Gillian & DarrylM,

Gillian: Is there a reason you want to take a taxi? The train station is very nearby and the trains are frequent.

They go to the Termini - main station in Rome and you can always do a taxi from there.

DarrylM: I agree with the other poster...Take the train and save 200 euros....It's about 25 Euros and will take you to the main train station in rome. You can google italian train and you will find the main italian train line.

It's time for a reality check, folks!

Leonardo da Vinci Intrnational Airport (FCO) is in Fiumicino, which actually is closer to Civitiavecchia than to Roma. The cab fare from the airport to Roma is about ninety (90) euros. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to take the train to Roma from Civitavecchia if you want to go to the airport.

The cruise line's transfers may well be the most economical transportation from the pier to the airport for two people.

Norm.
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Passenger

Ooops - noted. I obviously didnt read further than Rome!

However is there not a train from Termini to the airport?

I have gone blank as to how I got in from the airport but seem to recall we did it by train.
It may be a long way round but it may also be way chepaer.

Gillian
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Default Train is more economical

It's 9 Euros per person to take the train from Civitecchia to the Roma train station and from there you can get anywhere. If you find a group willing to share a van on your schedule it may be more convenient and not too overly priced. However, if you plan on staying on in Rome I would advise the train. I lied in Europe for 3 1/2 years and the train system is second to none.
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Admiral

DarrylM,

It's 9 Euros per person to take the train from Civitecchia to the Roma train station and from there you can get anywhere. If you find a group willing to share a van on your schedule it may be more convenient and not too overly priced. However, if you plan on staying on in Rome I would advise the train. I lied in Europe for 3 1/2 years and the train system is second to none.

You still have to get from the pier to the train station in Civitiavecchia, plus you have to haul your liggage on the train.

>> The original post inquired about getting from Civitavecchia to the Leonardo da Vinci Internatoinal Airport (FCO) in Fiumiciino. I think that the cruise line's transfers are the easiest solution.

>> Most of the cruise lines also offer transfers between Civitiavecchia and a hotel in Roma. Hotel packages generally include the corresponding transfer, but it's also possible to buy the transfer separately.

Note that the cruise line's transfers operate to or from the pier, so there's no issue of connecting transportation between the pier and the train station, or between the pier and a bus depot, or whatever, in Civitavecchia. The cruise line's transfers also have arrangements for luggage because they know that cruise passengers will have a lot of it.

Norm.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Passenger

Don't know if this helps as it was a LONG time ago (1999 I think).
The taxi cost me almost 300,000 lit (that's about 150 Euros), it was about an hour's drive, Maybe less. The driver charged me for both ways.
Civitavecchia port is big and it can be quite a way to the exit depending on where your ship docks, our ship used to be about 10 minutes walk from the gate.
Taxis will come to the piers but I think you will have to order one, they're not there just waiting.
I went to the little cafe in the port and got the barman to call me a cab while I had a coffee, because my Italian's not fantastic....
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

We took a private van from FCO to Civitavecchia in 11.05. It cost 120 Euro including tip. The reverse should be the same.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default private taxis mucho dinero

they want $200 for a cab from rome to the port for 2 people.
I hate having to lug my luggage--but can I get a cab at the port train station to the ship? I've read they aren't necessarily waiting around.
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Admiral

Mudley,

they want $200 for a cab from rome to the port for 2 people.
I hate having to lug my luggage--but can I get a cab at the port train station to the ship? I've read they aren't necessarily waiting around.

Yes, $200 is about right. A taxi from the airport to Roma is about half that, and the airport is about midway between.

Have your travel agent contact your cruise line and inquire about the cost of the cruise line's transfers. Most cruise lines do offer transfers between Roma and Civitavecchia for travellers with "independent arrangements" ending in Roma before the cruise.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:37 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to jakeddoc

I took a car last year and it ran about 110 euros for two people---
www.romashuttle.com
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's not that much more to travel in comfort and be picked up at the ship. Last year we used Stefano Costantini, he was great and I highly recommend him. I don't have his web address but you can contact him via email and ask for his web address:

allagrande@hotmail.it

He picked us up at the airport in Romeand took us to the hotel, took us (a group from the boards) on an Evening Tour of Rome, tpopk us to the ship and took us to the airport after the cruise was over. Very reliable, always on time and a pleasure to deal with.

Enjoy your cruise.

Marion
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Beginner

I agree with everyone that's suggesting you not to take the train, it's just a hassle and waste of precious time. Have a private driver pick you up at the harbour and take you to the centre in less than an hour, while you relax and enjoy the view! You could even share the ride with other cruise passangers, so that the price becomes really affordable, that's what my best friend did, she had already booked a private driver with a van to pick her and husband up at Civitavecchia, but on cruise she asked passangers to share, so the price was perfect and the other people were thrilled! I can raccomend the same private driver I also used when in Rome, his name is Marco email at roca.marco@libero.it