Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Beginner

Default Can you still get free future flights if you get bumped?

We are flying Continental from Newark to Rome in June. The flight is already sold out. Do airlines still give out free future flights if you volunteer to be bumped the next day? Anyone done this recently?
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Admiral

zelniker,

We are flying Continental from Newark to Rome in June. The flight is already sold out.

That's actually pretty normal for cruise ship turn-around days. Try going a day early.

Do airlines still give out free future flights if you volunteer to be bumped the next day?

The current FAA regulation leaves teh compensation offered to the full discression of the airline. The more common offer now seems to be a fixed dollar credit toward future travel.

That said, do you really want to miss the first couple nights of your cruise and have to redirect your flights to a different port city?

Norm.
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Default booking early

Hi Norm: We are already going 3 days ahead of the cruise! We were willing to give up one day in Rome for a free international flight! Doesn't sound like that is done any more. Ed.
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Ed,

We are already going 3 days ahead of the cruise!

In that case, it's probably turn-around day for another ship, perhaps of a different line.

We were willing to give up one day in Rome for a free international flight! Doesn't sound like that is done any more.

Actually, it's more likely that they would reroute you to another city in Europe on the day of departure with a connection to Rome the next day. Now that flights within the European Unon are domestic, that's pretty painless. Going to Rome last year, the airline broke my connection at Idlewild Field so they rerouted me from there to Madrid, then from Madrid to Roma on Iberia. Thus, I arrived in Roma after lunch rather than after breakfast.

If a flight is ovesold, the airline can offer compensation of its own choosing to recruit volunteers. With the discount certificate, you get a fixed dollar amount that might pay for several tickets.

Norm.