Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default 10 day Canary Islands for first European Cruise?

My wife and I are planning our 15th anniversary cruise and are considering this RCCL itinerary to the Canary Islands...it's aboard the Voyager of the Seas:

17-Nov Barcelona, Spain 7:00 PM Boarding

18-Nov Cruising

19-Nov Cruising

20-Nov Lanzarote, Canary Islands 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

21-Nov Tenerife, Canary Islands 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

22-Nov Santa Cruz, Canary Islands 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

23-Nov Cruising

24-Nov Casablanca, Morocco 7:00 AM 8:00 PM Docked

25-Nov Malaga, Spain 12:00 PM 8:00 PM Docked

26-Nov Cruising

27-Nov Barcelona, Spain 5:00 AM Departure

I'm looking for opinions about this itinerary since it doesn't go to the popular ports in other parts of the Med. Our travel dates are very much confined to the week of Thanksgiving which is what this is. We also like a few more days at sea....Royal Caribbean always has treated us very well so we like sailing!

Also, we typically don't care about outside cabins except for Alaska. Does it matter in the Med? Specifically on Voyager ships, we love the interior promenade staterooms.

Thanks in advance!!!

Nick & Marjie
March 2000 Monarch to the Bahamas
November 1998 Celebrity Galaxy to the Southern Caribbean
November 1995 Majesty to Western Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Great new " hot" itineraries.. we are considering doing it on Celebrity.. If you check out this months travel magazines you will find in one a story about the Canary Islands Check out
Celebrity.. much nicer experiece. Barcelona is great..if your interested we used a great taxi driver/guide and a wonderful little hotel right on The Ramblas.. and will probably use both again when we booik for our trans/atlantic cruise
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Nick & Marjie,

I'm looking for opinions about this itinerary since it doesn't go to the popular ports in other parts of the Med.

The less visited ports of call often have more authentic experiences of the local culture, interesting attractions that are not overrun with tourists, and much shorter lines than attractions at the more popular destinations. I would not hesitate to book this itinerary.

I can tell you that Malaga, Spain, is a very good port of call. If your cruise line offers it, I highly recommend the tour of the Alhambra palace complex in nearby Grenada.

Norm.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Malaga turned out to be a jewel...We hired a guide and he drove us up to Mijas...a little white washed village in the hills.. The winding streets, the tiny church further up in thehills, the donkey taxi's, the man making sugar coated almonds, the beaches, the moorish architecture, the beautiful marina where Parrot Pop was in photographers heaven taking picture after picture.... and back in tree lined Malaga accidently fnding a narrow cobblestoned side street where we had lunch of fresh calamari, smelts and red wine.. Norm is right about the Canary Islands...if they are included in an itinerary..GO!! You won't find cruise ship after cruise ship there..One thing is for sure...the Canary Islands are in the itineraries of the cruises I'm hoping to take next year...
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Passenger

I agree with previous posters, Malaga is a terrific port. We've been there several times, on a cruise and vacationing on the Costa Del Sol. I've been to both the Alhambra and Mijas and if you have to choose only one it should be the Alhambra, IMO. Mijas IS lovely and worth a visit. If you go don't miss the church way up on top of the hill. I missed it on my first visit, discovered it on my second visit. The views from the top are magnificent. We lunched there, found a delightful little tapas restaurant. Malaga itself has a lot to see. You don't need a tour. or a guide. It's easy walking, taxi's if you get tired. We visited the Picasso Museum, the Cathedral and the Alcazaba and also had a lovely lunch in Malaga serenaded by street musicians.