CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Hotel or ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/319631-hotel-ship.html)

Travel 25 August 24th, 2006 12:20 PM

Hotel or ship?

Our ship is spending 2 nights in Civitavecchia. Would it be better for us to get a hotel in Rome for one night rather than going back and forth each day on the on the train. My wife wants to stay in the ships cabin each night, but I think a hotel in Rome for one night would give us a lot more time for sight-seeing. When you consider the cost and time of the train each day it probably would not be that much more money? Thank you for your replies.

kitty2 August 24th, 2006 02:29 PM

I guess it would depend on how much the hotel is in Rome compared to train ticket & time spent travelling...
It is very expensive for hotels in Rome but if you don't mind the cost stay in town.

Rev22:17 August 24th, 2006 11:21 PM

Travel 25,

Our ship is spending 2 nights in Civitavecchia. Would it be better for us to get a hotel in Rome for one night rather than going back and forth each day on the on the train. My wife wants to stay in the ships cabin each night, but I think a hotel in Rome for one night would give us a lot more time for sight-seeing. When you consider the cost and time of the train each day it probably would not be that much more money? Thank you for your replies.

Not only are hotels expensive in Rome, but restaurants also are not exactly cheap -- especially for dinner. You'll pay for dinner on the ship whether you are there to eat it or not. You probably will come out ahead with the extra round trip ticket.

Norm.

Travel 25 August 25th, 2006 12:17 AM

Once again my wife is right. We will be returning to the ship each night. Thanks.

kitty2 August 25th, 2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travel 25
Once again my wife is right. We will be returning to the ship each night. Thanks.

Aren't we always!!! :D

Rev22:17 August 25th, 2006 06:06 PM

Travel 25,

I'm reminded of a couple who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Asked what was the key to their successful marrage, the husband said, "It's very simple. I make the big decisions and let my wife make the small decisions." The questionner then asked, "So how many big decisions have you made?" The husband's response: "So far, none."

Norm.

Magnolia Blossom August 28th, 2006 02:44 PM

Or as my husband puts it: I make all the little decisions and he makes all the big ones. I decide where we live, what we drive, where the kids go to school, where we go on vacation. He decides about nuclear disarmament and world peace LOL