Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hotels in Rome post cruise

Planning the Carnival Freedom cruise Rome Italy May 2007 and would like to spend one day up front and a few days post cruise. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions/rates?
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We stayed at the Westin Excelsior Hotel. Fabulous doesn't do it justice, but not cheap!
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
We stayed at the Westin Excelsior Hotel. Fabulous doesn't do it justice, but not cheap!
Exactly how much is "not cheap"?

I figure it is higher than "ouch"...

...but maybe not quite as high as "BOI-I-I-ING!!!"
Old September 19th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Jst1jst,

Planning the Carnival Freedom cruise Rome Italy May 2007 and would like to spend one day up front and a few days post cruise. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions/rates?

Your best option probably is your cruise line's hotel package add-on, as this package includes the transfers from the pier to the hotel at the end of your cruise. Your cruise line also will offer optional excursions in Rome, conducted in English, from the post-cruise hotel.

Norm.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hotels in Rome

Your best option probably is your cruise line's hotel package add-on, as this package includes the transfers from the pier to the hotel at the end of your cruise. Your cruise line also will offer optional excursions in Rome, conducted in English, from the post-cruise hotel.

My travel agent checked on this and said that Carnival suggests the Hilton at the airport. Don't want to stay at the airport and can stay at Hilton anywhere. We want to stay close to the tourist sights in town rather than make the commute each day.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Jst1jst,

My travel agent checked on this and said that Carnival suggests the Hilton at the airport. Don't want to stay at the airport and can stay at Hilton anywhere. We want to stay close to the tourist sights in town rather than make the commute each day.

No, that's clearly the wrong answer. Roma's Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO) actually is in Fiumicino, about midway between Roma and the port of Civitavecchia. A taxi from Fiumicino to Roma costs aobut $90 each way, and the ride takes nearly an hour. Most cruise lines offer pre-cruise and post-cruise packages at a hotel in Roma. You might do well to check into other cruise lines. IIRC, Royal Caribbean International offers pre-cruise and post-cruise packages at the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's, located a short distance behind the Vatican.

BTW, don't be turned away from an Italian hotel just because it's affiliated with one or another of the majro chains. Hotel chains like Hilton, Crowne Plaza, and Best Western have acquires many of Europs's classic hotels. In most cases, these properties retain their elegant decor and ambiance and their restaurants continue to serve local cuisine, perhaps with a few additions to accommodate American tastes.

Norm.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hotels in Rome

Norm:
Thanks for your response. Since I posted the question, I have decided to book at a Ambascatori Hotel in Rome. It is near several of the tourist attractions. Our travel agent suggested this hotel and, after looking at it on-line, I found that it is very nice. It was built in 1903 and seems very elegant. They do not have a website for the hotel and to find it takes a little time. You can find it through by logging onto www.bookinboundtravel.com then select dates and city (Rome) and type in the first few letters of the hotel name.
Jeanette & Ray
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Beginner

WE RECENTLY RETURNED FROM OUR CRUISE ON THE GOLDEN PRINCESS. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HOTEL FONTANELLA BORGHESE. THE HOTEL IS SMALL AND IS LOCATED CLOSE TO SPANISH STEPS, TREVI FOUNTAIN. EVERYTHING WAS IN WALKING DISTANCE! THE HOTEL IS VERY CLEAN AND QUIET. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT. THE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST PROVIDED WAS ACTUALLY VERY GOOD! THE PRICE FOR THIS DARLING HOTEL WAS LESS THAN 200 EURO.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. :)