Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Default Difference between the med in sept and october?

I'm looking for a 12-14 day cruise in the Med encompasing Venice and some Greek Isles. I see a difference in price of a Sept cruise of $2900 pp and an Oct cruise of $2000 pp. Obviously there is a reason for the difference in price. But I don't know exactly what it is.

Is there that big a difference in the weather or something else between Sept and Oct in the Med?
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Admiral

mfinley919,

I'm looking for a 12-14 day cruise in the Med encompasing Venice and some Greek Isles. I see a difference in price of a Sept cruise of $2900 pp and an Oct cruise of $2000 pp. Obviously there is a reason for the difference in price. But I don't know exactly what it is.

Are you comparing apples to apples -- that is, the same category of cabin or guarantee aboard the same ship on exactly the same itinerary? If so, the most likely source of the difference would be the number of bookings to date.

Backing up a step, cruise lines use "demand pricing" just like arilines do. Basically, this means raising fares on cruises that are popular and lowering fares on cruises that are unpopular as the bookings progress. The hope is that the difference in fares will steer cost-conscious passengers to the less popular sailings while maximizing revenue from fares on the most popular sailings. Ideally, the difference in price equalizes demand so that all cruises are full when ehy depart.

BTW, October is a fantastic time for a cruiise in the Mediterranean! The weather is perfect for touring, which is what you'll be doing in most of the ports of call, at that time of year.

Norm.
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Thanks Norm. Yes, I am comparing apples to apples, identical itinerary's and cabin classes, just a difference of dates.
Old September 29th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Comparing cruiises

If it is the exact same cruise I would go for October, because most of the tourists are gone and the weather as we found out last year was just lovely in the ports..
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

The main reason is the days are shorter.You always leave a port in the dark,you just see the lights.
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Default Leaving in the Dark

We cruised from Barcelona 10/14 and always left in the light at all the ports..I can't remember it being dark,except possibly for Rome where the ship was held up two hours for cruisers on a broken train from Rome..more than two dozen to be exact..lol