Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Venice -Airport-Hotel-Port Question

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Venice for a couple of days prior to boarding my ship.

If at all possible, I want to stay in a neighborhood in the heart of Venice for a night or two so I can do some walking/touring, then go to the Port.

Can anyone recommend a neighborhood or two relatively convenient to both the Cruise Port and the Airport? I have only one relatively lightweight suitcase so so I don't have to limit myself to water taxis and I can do a little walking with it (I'm on a budget --somewhat)!

Thanks for all your help,
Jeana
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Familiar Face

We stayed in Venice prior to our cruise as well - we were on the Grand Princess. I did alot of arranging on my own and things were fine but Venice is a very difficult city. You cannot walk to the port; in fact, if you take the wrong water taxi - which we did - be prepared to pay dearly. I had all the info I needed before arriving but noone seemed able to put us on the right public taxi. A private taxi from St Mark's will cost about $100. It is no picnic from the airport either. I believe in making my own arrangments rather than using the cruise ship's but in this case book your hotel and all transfers through the cruise line - in the long run you will probably save money and for sure a great deal of aggravation. Try to stay as near St. Mark's as you can afford and from there you can walk til you drop. Just wander and enjoy.
Hope I was able to help/
Marie
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

I completed my trip in November and I was able to walk to the port with no difficulty at all. I wouldn't say I was in tiptop physical condition, but I am comfortable walking distances, as I live in a city. Those who do not walk regularly or have heavy luggage might find it a bit taxing.

It was about a 15 minute walk from my hotel, which was a small charming hotel right on the tiny canal near the mainland. Close to everything by vaporetto, so I didn't miss anything at all.

There were also free shuttle buses at the main bus terminal across the street and down the road a bit. I believe land taxis were about $20 from this area.

I had one 25" luggage carrier on wheels and a backpack.

Thanks
Jeana
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Beginner

Default Venice help

There's a great web site, Venice for visitors, that makes recommendations for where to stay before cruise. Just do a google search to find it.

I originally booked a hotel near the terminal, but later switched to a highly recommended (through Tripadvisor) hotel near St. mark's Square right near the San Zacarria waterbus stop. That way we'll be able to take the Alilaguna gold line to San Zacarria and then get the Blue line to the terminal, I think! We'll definitely ask at the hotel when we get there. We're older so I didn't want to have to lug our baggage too far.

i'll post a follow-up after our trip.
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Default cyn2

We are going to Venice as well could you kindly tell us the name of the hotel you stayed in.
Thank you
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...e-terminal.htm

This is a pretty good website. It lists airport info, hotels, transfers,etc. Have fun.
Cheers
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Beginner

You will need a water taxi to go from the airport to anywhere and a water taxi to go from any hotel to your ship. Your cruise line may have transfers avilable.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yeoman

That is not actually true,,,sorry

You can get a taxi from the airport across the bridge to the Venice bus station and from there get a water taxi to any hotel, and so much cheaper.

If anyone wants a base for a day or so in that area that is close to the cruise terminal (again reached by ordinary taxi) plus only a couple of water bus stops away from "everything". Please use the water buses they are brilliant 8).then ..........

We have stayed in the Hotel Santa Chiara, its old and nice. Link to the hotel attached http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/ to make up your own mind
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thombaird
You will need a water taxi to go from the airport to anywhere and a water taxi to go from any hotel to your ship. Your cruise line may have transfers avilable.

We cruised to Venice. We walked all over Venice, never using a water taxi. There are many, many bridges over the canals. We spent the whole day walking around. When it was time for us to go to the airport,(Marco Polo), we took a bus. I think we paid maybe 3 Euros each for the bus. The bus station is at Palazzo Roma. There was also a place where you could leave your luggage for 3.50 Euros for each piece. It was right by the bus station, so that worked out very well.

Libragirl