Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Post Cruise Rome -Port to Center of Rome

Hi,

A slightly different twist on the Rome pre-cruise question:

I would like to spend a day or so in Rome after my cruise, and was wondering what my options (method and approx cost) are from the Port to the center of Rome.

I am on a budget and traveling somewhat lightly so if I have options other than taxi, I am open to them. I figure once I am in the heart of the city, I can take the local trains to the airport. Of course, if you don't advise this, please let me know!

Thanks!
Jeana
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Jeana,

A slightly different twist on the Rome pre-cruise question:

I would like to spend a day or so in Rome after my cruise, and was wondering what my options (method and approx cost) are from the Port to the center of Rome.

I am on a budget and traveling somewhat lightly so if I have options other than taxi, I am open to them. I figure once I am in the heart of the city, I can take the local trains to the airport. Of course, if you don't advise this, please let me know!

Hmmm...

Let me cut to the chase. Rome is not a "budget" destnation. You'll need to plan on $200 per night, and I'm not aware of cheap transprtation options, either. Your best bet is to book a post-cruise package through your cruise line, which will include transportation from the pier to the hotel as well as your room. If you also book your flights through the cruise line, the package also will include the transfer from the pier to the airport.

Rome's Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO) is in Fiumicino, a city on the coast to the southwest of Rome, so local transportation won't get you there and a taxi costs about $90 at current exchange rates. I'm not aware of a train station at the airport, either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems better to give you straight answers than to set you up for a nasty surprise.

Have a great cruise in any case!

Norm.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Beginner

Hi, Jeana we have a cruise planned for April 07 and have not traveled this route but I have done some research and can tell you what we have found. First open Cruisemates go to the Europe forum, scroll down to: How-to Civitavecchia & Villafranch--Train Station. O.K. its 10 minute walk to train station. Then I looked up www.raileurope.com for reservations schedule, type in Civitavecchia to Rome. It's 28E for a 1st class ticket, 1hr and 16 min. Once at the Train terminal in Rome I would get a taxi to the hotel just to be safe.
Then carefully pick a hotel in Rome maybe one that includes transport to the airport. Try Travelocity. Good luck Gary
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Civitavecchia to Rome to Airport on the Cheap...

Dear Gary and Norm,

Thanks so much for all your help! I am planning to take the train from the Civitavecchia station to Roma Termini, have booked a hotel in the nearby area within 10 minutes walking distance of the station, but out of the hub (I have a lightweight suitcase on wheels) for 65Euro and will take the airport train from the Termini station the next afternoon. Will use the hop on/off bus for some quick sightseeing and will do a little sightseeing on foot as well.

You've helped so much!

Thanks,
Jeana