Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Default Shore Excursions

Do you recommend booking shore excursions to the Med. before you leave or will most still be available once you board the ship? If before how far in advance? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Travel 25,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Do you recommend booking shore excursions to the Med. before you leave or will most still be available once you board the ship? If before how far in advance? Thanks.
It depends upon the policies of the cruise line.

>> Back when I was cruising on Princess, I started reserving shore excursions in advance when Princess introduced the program. There's really no down side to this on Princess because Princess charges the pre-reserved excursions to your shipboard account when the shore excursion staff issue the tickets on embarkation day.

>> Now that I'm cruising on Celebrity, I do NOT reserve shore excursions in advance because Celebrity charges those shore excursions to a credit card when you reserve them, which seems completely unnecessary.

There's some possibility that your first choice of shore excursion will sell out in advance, but the cruise lines generally work with the tour operators to add more capacity whenever that happens. I have occasionally had to settle for my second choice, but I have always been able to book shore excursions that I found to be worthwhile after embarkation. And if your preferred shore excursion shows as "sold out" on embarkation day, always check back a day or two later to see if the staff have obtained additional capacity.

Norm.
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We cruise RCI and Celebrity. In the beginning we waited to book on the ship. It's very simple with the interactive TV in your cabin. But for the most part, now I book them ahead of time if I'm sure what I want. I don't care when they get charged--it's going to happen no matter what. A couple of times it worked out that the pre-booked tours went on one statement and the shipboard charges went on the next one, which was good.
Last June we hoped to take a railway excursion in Flam, Norway, but didn't read the descriptions closely enough and thought the only one involved several miles of hiking, too. At the hotel in London before the cruise, we re-read the descriptions and found one that we wanted. The minute we got to our cabin we booked it on the TV, communicating with our friends on our cabin phones to make sure we had the same time period.
2 year ago Celebrity had to cancel the cruise we had scheduled for Costa Maya and we booked another on on the TV.
if you want to wait, you will probably be OK. Just know what you want ahead of time and book as soon as you get to your cabin.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Passenger

When we went on our most recent cruise, which was 11 ports of call in the Mediterranean, we made res's 6 to 8 mos in advance of sailing, but none of these were cruise line sponsored, all were private shore excursions.
NOTHING EVER WENT WRONG. This was ALL via e-mail.

Have a good one e CIAO,...............Steve
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Beginner

Hi,
last time we were on a cruise we've decided to organise our shore excursions before. The best one was the visit of the french riviera, the highlights of our vacations. The name of the company was Riviera Premium Tour and i can tell you that the guide we had (jerome) for the day was just excellent, fun and such a big knowledge of the area, we had lots of fun.
I recommend this company to everyone who stops in Villefranche, Cannes or Monaco. They take you on tour in 8 pers. minivans air-conditioned, excellent service. We found then on the web rivierapremiumtour.com and we organised everything via emails no regrets.
I'm sure that anyone who will take this company will tell the same.
I hope you will enjoy your trip as we did.
Bill
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM
Passenger

Default limoinitaly

Just back from the Carnival Liberty cruise. We tried to book our shore excursions with driverinrome since we had used in the past but they were booked for the day so we choose to give limoinitaly.com a shot.Our contact was Monia she offers the best rates and excellent service. We started with Livorno our driver took us to the sights we wanted and
gave us a history lesson during the drive. He also made great recommendations. He spoke speak perfect English and was well mannered.We had the same driver for Rome the day we explored the incredible monumnets this city has to offer. We were on a cruise so only had one day in each port. The driver picked us up at each dock and was always on time. Using this king of service allowed us to take full advantage of each day and see the most notable sights for as long or short as we wanted.Our drivers also made the day feel like we were visiting with friends/family instead of a riding with a stale bus driver and 60 other passengers. If you havent guessed yet, I very much support your use of their service for your vacation.
As far as cost, we found it reasonable and even less expensive than the
cruise line excursions packages where you take a bus trip with 60 or so other passengers and have no say in the stops and duration.

Have a great vacation!!
Neil
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Passenger

We had the pleasure of having Giuseppe (www.sorrentotopcar.com) show us Rome and Naples, Our family of 5 had thorough tours and lots of fun. The restaurants we were taken to were family run and very accomodating. The food, amazing! We were in awe of Giuseppe in Naples and Rome, they not only drove and lectured but enabled us shortcuts that saved us time at the sites.
We had a great time and wish that everyone on the ship could have benefited.
We hope to return in a couple of years...we threw our coins
in the Trevi Fountain so we will see!
Do not hesitate to engage Giuseppe and the services offered by his Company.
You can contact him at www.sorrentotopcar.com
He can help you for any problem in Italy
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Travel 25,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

>> Now that I'm cruising on Celebrity, I do NOT reserve shore excursions in advance because Celebrity charges those shore excursions to a credit card when you reserve them, which seems completely unnecessary.

There's some possibility that your first choice of shore excursion will sell out in advance,
Norm.
Yes RCI and Celebrity require up front payment, but the great part of this arrangement is that your on-board account will be that much less when it's time to settle the bill. :o It is a great releif to me to know that my cruise and all my shore ex's are paid in full before I sail.
There is allways the possibilty of your choice of shore ex's offered will be sold out, so why not book in advance. This way you will not be dissapointed, then end up booking something you didn't want or missing out alltogether.
Mariner OTS- W Caribbean 10/08
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ours071307.cfm

You may want to read this article I recent wrote on ship's tours vs using a private tour operator.