CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Train from Civitavecchia to Rome? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/325881-train-civitavecchia-rome.html)

Travel 25 January 10th, 2007 09:31 PM

Train from Civitavecchia to Rome?

How often does the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and then back to Civitavrcchia run? Does it run 24 hours a day? How far from the cruise dock is the train station and is it a safe walk? Where does it drop you off in Rome? Do you need reservations or can you be assured of getting on board? How long does it take and how much is it? I know these are a lot of questions, but when I googled it the sites seemed unclear to me. First hand experience is always better. THANKS!

Steve

Rev22:17 January 11th, 2007 01:20 PM

Steve,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
How often does the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and then back to Civitavrcchia run? Does it run 24 hours a day?

Probably not 24 hours per day, but there probably are trains at the time when you will want to go to or from a cruise ship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
How far from the cruise dock is the train station and is it a safe walk?

Not walkable. The cruise dock is in an industrial port area. Like most European ports, Civitavecchia does not have a dedicated cruise ship terminal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Where does it drop you off in Rome?

Rome's main train station is in the center of the city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Do you need reservations or can you be assured of getting on board?

Reservations are certainly a good idea if you want to get onto a specific train.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
How long does it take and how much is it?

Probably a little over an hour and I have no idea as to price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I know these are a lot of questions, but when I googled it the sites seemed unclear to me. First hand experience is always better. THANKS!

I'm not sure what is motivating your quesitons, but there are better options.

>> If you are embarking or debarking in Civitavecchia and planning to stay in Roma on your own, most cruise lines offer transfers from the city center that go directly to the pier.

>> If you are on a cruise that has a port of call in Civitavecchia and you want to spend the day in Roma, your cruise line probably offers a "shore excursion" with a name something like "Rome on Your Own" that basically consists of round trip bus transportation between the pier and the center of the city. Again, this would be the most seamless solution and would maximize the time that you have on your own in the city. It probably also would be the most economical soluton since you'll have to add taxi fare from the pier to the rail station in Civitavecchia to the cost of the railroad ticket.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

selctsys January 20th, 2007 06:45 PM

The suburban rail line (FR5) runs from the port to central rome. It is pretty much like a glorified subway/metro train. It actually has a stop right by St. Peter's. Once in Rome, you can also use the metro to get to the major sites like the Forum. The train runs pretty much on the hour from just outside the port and takes about 50 minutes - you can get the exact times on the Internet.

If you know the city, this coupled with the metro can be the way to get around quickly and avoid some traffic. Note that the trains can really crowded as well and you may find yourself standing.

jeana February 12th, 2007 11:20 AM

I did this traveling solo and it was no problem and much cheaper than a taxi.

When you disembark the ship at Civitavecchia, their is a free shuttle bus which takes you and your luggage from the ship to the entrance to the port. Take this -it's too far to walk.

From the entrance of the port , you can walk to the Civitavecchia train station. This is easy to do -a flat terrain 15-20 minutes walk, but could be a little taxing if you have lots of luggage, so go slowly. I had a 25" suitcase on wheels and a rather thick backpack, and I didn't have any problems. There were others with much more luggage.

I was on Princess and the tour desk provided this detailed information, but I had already gotten the info online before I left. Your ship might be able to help as well.

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com/en -for planning purposes, but I wouldn't purchase the ticket online since your disembarkation time can be earlier/later than originally planned.

No need to purchase tickets in advance; you can get them at the train station. Try to choose a train leaving from the first track, so you don't have to haul your luggage up and down stairs under the tracks. The tracks are right out the back from the ticket office -take a moment and check the track #. It's a small one room station -easily seen.

My best advice: plan to leave AFTER rush hour if you are traveling on a weekday morning. It can get very crowded. Be sure to either lock your luggage to a post by the door, or take a seat very near to the luggage so you can keep your eyes on it. Keep any small or hand luggage or valuables with you at all times, as there will be others that board the train and may have to stand around your luggage if all the seats are taken. I didn't lock my luggage, but it was so heavy I didn't expect anyone would want to run off and haul it with them.

Jeana

kandajones February 13th, 2007 03:12 PM

Hi there, every time we call into Civitavecchia we hit the train in to Rome, it is unbelievably easy. The trains run every half hour or so (see http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html), and the ticket office speak great English - they usually even have the tickets ready for the cruise passengers.

P&O & Princess (or the port authority) usually provide a free shuttle bus to the dock gates, if you are moored on the outer sea wall, it is also an easy walk around. From the dock gates, walk for about 10 minutes keeping the sea on your right hand side, you will see a wall rising on the left side of the road, cross here & walk into the car park there, which is for the train station. After buying your ticket, you must clip/chad it using one of the machines by the platform doors.

There are 5 stations in Rome, the first you come to is St. Pietro which takes you into St. Peters Square & the Vatican, the next 3 are subrurbs of Rome, the last is Termini where you can catch a hop on / hop off Tour Bus.

Don't bother booking a seat, most of the ship will pack onto the train, so you've got little chance of finding the seat, let alone sitting on it.

The train journey lasts about and hour & 15, depending on the number of stops en route. Make a note of the station names, so that on the way back you are ready to get off.
If you are heading back to the airport, be aware that there are 2 in Rome, and only one is easy to get to using the trains change at Termini is easiest & thgen back out on the Ostia Lido line.

have a great time

Alan & Katrina

mehawk February 23rd, 2007 06:13 AM

I guess we'll find out soon! :D