Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Default Is Turkey, Greece and Italy safe for Americans?

Due to the unpopularity of this war and our president ,I know many places are not safe for americans for those of you who have recently been to any of these ports did you feel unsafe or safe?
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yeoman

Since I´m not american, I can´t say if you as an american will feel safe in Greece, Italy and Turkey but I can say if you have any reasons not to feel safe.

Italy: I think that Italy have some small troops in Iraq too so I don´t think that they have anything particular against americans because of the war.

Greece: I haven´t heard about any big protests about the war there, I don´t think you have any reason to be scared there either.

Turkey: Maybe a problem, Turkey is a muslim country. Turkey wants to become a member of the european union so the goverment probably do what they can so that americans and people from northern and western europe shall feel safe there, I´m not sure what the people who lives there think.... The main problem for tourists, at least when it comes to safety, in Turkey are the Kurds, and they didn´t liked Saddam so they should like you!

Me myself don´t want to go to Turkey but that´s not for safety reasons, it´s more that I don´t like how the goverment there theats people who they disagree with (=Kurds)!
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is Turkey, Greece and Italy safe for Americans?

showcat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Due to the unpopularity of this war and our president ,I know many places are not safe for americans for those of you who have recently been to any of these ports did you feel unsafe or safe?
I'm not aware of any problems in any of these countries. You probably are just as safe there as in any major American city. There has been some unrest over the past several years in the Kurdish region of Turkey, but that region is in the southeastern corner of the country -- well over 500 miles from any port where cruise ships call.

I must say that I felt very apprehensive prior to going to Turkey for the first time, probably because I knew that Turkey is a Moslem country, but I felt much more at ease after I got there. The tour guides explained, very patiently, that the Turks are NOT Arabs even though both peoples are predominantly Moslem. In fact, Turkish culture is much more European than Asian. Turkey is a member of NATO and is seeking full membership in the European Union.

There's a lot of great information on every foreign nation in the respectiveBackgrond Notes, which get updated routinely, on the U. S. Department of State's web site, so you can go there to read about Greece, [url=http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/4033.htm]Italy, and Turkey.

The Department of State also publishes Travel Warnings for countries where serious dangers exist. There are no travel warnings currently in force for any of these countries.

Norm.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM
arzu tugba

Default TURKEY IS THE SAFEST COUNTRY

Turkey is one of the safe country which I have been so far.It could be turkish population is muslim but people in the country does not care about politics.They wellcome all you.Please do not let the people who want to make you upset.Bush is bush.Turkish people likes people.Turkish hospitality.
traveller 79
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Yeoman

You have probably heared about the attack on the US embassy in Athens, Greece. There has been some attacks against US-interests in Greece during the last years but it´s not something most people in Greece think is okey. The attacks are most likely made by people in leftwing groups and as far as I understand it, they are not a threat to americans in common. People know that many americans are against the war so I don´t think that many see american civilians as targets.

As for Turkey, yes, the biggest problems are far away from where you will be but it has been attacks on places with lots of tourists too.
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Default NO PROBLEM

This past June we were in Spain,France,Italy,Greece and Turkey and not one hint of trouble because we were Americans.
Go for it !

CIAO,
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think all of these countries are safe for Americans to visit. I have been throughout Europe (though not Turkey) on both business and pleasure and have never experienced blatant, or targeted anti-Americanism. In fact, my experiences have been most welcoming from just about everyone I have met.

The key in visiting any country is to be respectful of the people and its culture and to not assume that they should go out of their way for you because you are an American. Also, I wouldn't do anything to make yourself stand out or flash money/jewelry to make yourself a vicitm of petty crime.

Have a great trip!
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Beginner

Hi,

We were last year in the mentioned locations. The only trouble can be in Turkey but when we were there we met wonderful people and all they very kind to us. They showed us really very warm hospitality.
Events can happen everywhere, as the globe is not safe nowadays...
I can say that all these mentioned countries are safe for all americans and other people...
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

These are wonderful places to visit and perfectly safe, if you are a smart tourist. So follow the usual rules about not flashing jewelry and watch your camera and packages. This applies everywhere in the world, including right here in my hometown, NYC.

Personally, I have found the people of Turkey to be some of the most friendly people in the world.

While there are bad apples everywhere, including here at home, my most common experience is that people will respond to you based on how you treat them. If you are friendly, they will be also. If you are stuffy and arrogant, they will give you the cold shoulder.

I have found in all my travels that most people have the capacity to separate a person from his/her country's politics. One thing I learned and respect very much is most people love their homelands just as much as we love ours. Talk to the shopkeepers, the restaurant owners, the people waiting on line with you at the stores, etc. While they are friendly and curious about meeting travelers, they also love being given the opportunity to tell you about their culture as well.

Have fun and make lots of new friends,
Jeana
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Is Turkey, Greece and Italy safe for Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
I must say that I felt very apprehensive prior to going to Turkey for the first time, probably because I knew that Turkey is a Moslem country, but I felt much more at ease after I got there. The tour guides explained, very patiently, that the Turks are NOT Arabs even though both peoples are predominantly Moslem. In fact, Turkish culture is much more European than Asian. Turkey is a member of NATO and is seeking full membership in the European Union.

Norm.
Turkey is an amazing country and when you speak with the people you will learn that while the majority are Muslim, they highly pride themselves on the fact that Turkish Christians, Jews and Muslims live side by side in peace and with great mutual respect.

Jeana
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to njgirl3680

I am going to all three places and leaving May 3rd from Barcelona.

I have not been to any of these places yet the thought of my safety has not popped into my mind. Just go for it .
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Beginner

I traveled with a tour through out the western half of Turkey in May 2006. Everyone I met was warm and friendly. I had one shopkeeper out of curiosity ask me what I thought of our president.

Turkey is a truly spectacular country that many Americans are missing out on!
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Familiar Face

Just got back from the Carnival Freedom which went to all 3 countries and I found everyone friendly and helpful.
Tourism is an industry for these people and when a big boat docks, the people see dollars and euros so they rarely have a political agenda in the tourist areas.

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Beginner

I was at all 3 of the ports on Carnival Freedom 3/2007 to 4/7/2007. As someone had stated you are told not to wear any expensive jewelry and BE VERY CAREFUL OF PICK POCKETS.
Istanbul is Beautiful, but an older gentleman on our ship was pick pocketed at the Mosque. You have to go to the Grand Bazaar. There's over 4,000 shops there.
They do expect you to bargain with them in Rome, Turkey and Greece.
We went to Izmir, Turkey and found I was very uncomfortable there. The men there hawk you and didn't leave us alone. We just walked off the ship to look around because all of the excrusions were booked. We didn't go too far away from the ship, took some pictures and went back on the ship.
Just to let you know you would be wise to purchase Euros. They don't take Discover card. They do take Visa and Mastercard. They do take USD, but remember the USD isn't worth much over there unfortunately for us.
I did find most of the people were friendly, but pushy in some of the stores, especially the Turkish Carpet stores !!!!
We're going back on January 16, 2008 on Costa Concordia and we're hoping to see a lot of the things we missed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try to help you.
If and when you go....Have a Great time...
Sandy P
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Captain

My husband and I recently returned from a Mediterranean cruise. We visited 17 ports, most of which were in Italy, Greece, and one in Turkey. The only place we didn't feel very safe was in Naples, Italy. We were warned by an Italian policeman (carrying an Uzi) to put our video camera out of sight. He told us robbers would cut the strap and run with it. We felt very safe everywhere else. Most people were very friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful time, and are thinking about planning another trip for next year!!

Libragirl from Texas