Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Default Is an Italian cruise better than a 'land trip'

Hi -
My best friend and I want to take a trip to Italy- I am in favor of a cruise experience, but my friend thinks that being 'tied' to a ship will not allow us to spend enough time at attractions... can anyone advise?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Is an Italian cruise better than a 'land trip'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshell
Hi -
My best friend and I want to take a trip to Italy- I am in favor of a cruise experience, but my friend thinks that being 'tied' to a ship will not allow us to spend enough time at attractions... can anyone advise?
Your time is quite restricted. Especially in ports like Livorno, where the distance to Florence takes up quite a bit of your time.
A cruise to Italy is quite a bit cheaper than a land trip to Italy... without the problems of searching for decent hotels within your budget.

A cruise to Italy will certainly give you a taste of the Italian experience, in a stress free manner... with room and much of the food taken care of. Look at it as an Italian appetizer.

If you really want to explore Italy, a land vacation is the way to go.
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Admiral

tshell,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi -
The first major advantage of the cruise is that you go aboard ship, unpack once, then let the ship take you to a variety of destinations before you have to repack for the trip home. And even if you add a couple nights in a hotel before or after the cruise, you are still moving only once.

The second major advantage of the cruise is that you get to sample a about eight or ten destinations over the course of a couple weeks. If you have never been to Italy before, you'll be in a much better position to decide where you really want to spend more time on a possible land trip.

The third major advantage of the cruise is that the cruise line's shore excursions in the ports of call are well-organized, totally seamless, and structured to utulize your time in the destination cities very effectively. They have prereserved tours of the major attractions mean that you won't spend your time waiting in queues -- often over two hours, especially during peak season -- for general admission, plus your tours of the major attractions will be in English. Most shore excursions also include lunch at a local restaurant, so you get to sample the local cuisine.

And the fourth advantage is that a cruise is a lot less expensive than accommodations and meals in comparable Eiropean hotels and restaurants.

Of course, is a drawback. The ship usually spends only a day or two in each port, so your time for sightseeing is limited. OTOH, embarkation and disembarkation usually occur in major cities where you can stay for a few days before or after your cruise if you want to spend some time there, and the cruise line will even arrange a hotel and transfers, including luggage, for you.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Captain

dang i just typed this whole thing and it deleted UGH. here i go again

Ok, so were seriously interested in the 3C's cruise at 600 each (we get a 200 ship board credit so i deducted that) inside cabin. That is cheaper than airfare to Italy.

We visit st marteen, portugal, spain, livorno italy and then rome. We will be jumping ship in Livorno (TA said no problem) visit florence during hte day then train it to Venice for a 2 nights. Then from there we'll train it to Rome where we'll be staying in a convent (about 2/3 cheaper and always clean lol, lots of convents in rome, and most in great areas! you can get a room for 2 for under 100 euro's...cant do that in a flea bag hotel) we'll stay in Rome atleast 3 nights, more likely 4-5 with a side day trip into naples and pompeii.

Its a 3 week trip and it sounds like a doable itenerary and seeing all i want to see (except Greece...but i guess that will be another trip )

The thing about Italy is its so expensive! If your just going with a girlfriend i suggest you check out the convents. they now except families, men etc now. They are all over italy...everywhere and on trip advisor seem to get great reviews. Most have breakfast almost all are under 100 euros per night for 2 people and a lot have curfews of 11pm or midnight (some are open 24/7) most of the people arent bothered by curfews. Pickpockets and purse snatchers are common and probably wont have a reason to be out past 11pm anyway. Also some convents dont have tv's in the rooms (some do) but ever only have italian tv or cnn in english. One word of warning...convents book up fast, i know a lot of them are booked thru the entire year already so book early.

Anyway a week in italy can be so expensive, so the cruise sounded even cheaper than just going by land. That being said im pretty sure my excursions in st marteen, portugal, spain will all be beach excursions/shopping, so im saving most of my money on Italy itself.

No matter what you decide, have a great time!!!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshell
Hi -
To really see Italy a land tour is the only way to go. To really get a feel for a place you need to spend more than time at "attractions". You need to experience the neighborhoods, the countryside, the people, etc.

Don't get me wrong, a cruise is a great vacation (taking 5th family cruise this summer to the med) and can be quite affordable, just recognize that all you will experience is a brief impression of the ports that you visit.