Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Beginner

Default Anything open on Sunday?

The first stop on our 7-day Med cruise will be Villefranche, on Sunday, July 8. I am worried that many of the shops and attractions will be closed.

Does anyone have info on this? Any advice on places to go (or avoid) would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Captain

Hi L2C, don't worry too much with any European city with regards to Sunday opening - especially if they rely on tourism & you visit in the peak of Summer, nearly everything will be open & very lively.

If you're not sure what to do in Villefranche, may I suggest taking a look at http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=84 which seems to sum everything up quite nicely, with photos as well.

Whilst on the French Riviera, it is also quite easy to use the train service to visit other towns such as Nice & Cannes, or even another "country" with Monte Carlo/Monaco along the coast.

Hope you have a lovely time,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the info, kandajones! I bookmarked the website you gave me. The train looks like it would be a great way to see some of the other towns.

Now ... time to brush up on my French!
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Captain

Trying to recollect the port, (so please check this once on board)
You are tendered to the quayside & walk through a customs area. Now turn right & follow the road along the beach front. After about 10/15 minutes, you will have a road/steps on your left going up into the hills, the railway station is up the steps. I seem to remember that to get to the ticket office you walk through a tunnel under the rails.
There are only 2 lines, the one nearest the beach heads West to Cannes, then Nice, whilst the one by the ticket office heads East to Monaco/Monte Carlo.

There are only 2 lines, so getting the right platform isn't a worry. but make sure that you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. The maiknland Europe trains are usually very good, but to be sure, we normally travel out as soon as we can in the morning, in order to give us plenty of time to get back.

If there's anything else we can help with, please feel free to ask or PM us.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Toni177uk
Default Re: Anything open on Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Cruise
The first stop on our 7-day Med cruise will be Villefranche, on Sunday, July 8. I am worried that many of the shops and attractions will be closed.

Does anyone have info on this? Any advice on places to go (or avoid) would be greatly appreciated!

Most of the shops around the harbour area ..tourist types?bars etc will be open but if you head into town...very few..