Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Help! I need a hotels in Rome and Venice

I'm planning on taking 14 day transatlantic cruise. The cruise ends near Rome, I have never been to Italy. We plan to stay in Rome two days then take the train to Venice and spend two days there. The problem is I don't know the area. Because, of this I don't know what to see and where to stay. Please let me know of any hotels you liked and what tourist attractions they are near. Also any advice about getting around in Rome or Venice would be helpful. Thank You.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Help! I need a hotels in Rome and Venice

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm planning on taking 14 day transatlantic cruise. The cruise ends near Rome, I have never been to Italy. We plan to stay in Rome two days then take the train to Venice and spend two days there. The problem is I don't know the area. Because, of this I don't know what to see and where to stay. Please let me know of any hotels you liked and what tourist attractions they are near. Also any advice about getting around in Rome or Venice would be helpful. Thank You.
Since you don't know the area, your best bet in Roma probably would be to book a post-cruise package through your cruise line. The package may appear to be somewhat expensive, but it includes the transfer from Civitavecchia to Roma. Your cruise line will have representatives who are fluent in English at a hospitality desk in the hotel lobby to assist you, and those representatives also will coordinate optional tours (similar to shore excursions) of the major attractions in the city. Of course, you may also skip the tours and visit the attractions on your own.

With regard to specific hotels, I found the Crowne Plaza Saint Peter's, located behind Vatican City on Via Aurelia Antiqua (literally, "Old Aurelian Way") to be quite satisfactory on my last visit to the eternal city. This hotel was one of the grandes dames of the city long before it became part of the Crowne Plaza chain. It's a beautiful property set back from the street, with gorgeous grounds, and it's surrounded by a residential neighborhood with many restaurants and shops that cater to the locals.

I don't have any specific recommendations on Venezia ("Venice"). Some of the cruise lines offer post-cruise land tours of Roma and Venezia that may well be a good choice, depending upon your desires. Otherwise, you could book a train and a hotel in Venezia on your own in conjunction with the cruise line's hotel package in Roma.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Since you don't know the area, your best bet in Roma probably would be to book a post-cruise package through your cruise line. The package may appear to be somewhat expensive, but it includes the transfer from Civitavecchia to Roma. Your cruise line will have representatives who are fluent in English at a hospitality desk in the hotel lobby to assist you, and those representatives also will coordinate optional tours (similar to shore excursions) of the major attractions in the city. Of course, you may also skip the tours and visit the attractions on your own.

With regard to specific hotels, I found the Crowne Plaza Saint Peter's, located behind Vatican City on Via Aurelia Antiqua (literally, "Old Aurelian Way") to be quite satisfactory on my last visit to the eternal city. This hotel was one of the grandes dames of the city long before it became part of the Crowne Plaza chain. It's a beautiful property set back from the street, with gorgeous grounds, and it's surrounded by a residential neighborhood with many restaurants and shops that cater to the locals.

I don't have any specific recommendations on Venezia ("Venice"). Some of the cruise lines offer post-cruise land tours of Roma and Venezia that may well be a good choice, depending upon your desires. Otherwise, you could book a train and a hotel in Venezia on your own in conjunction with the cruise line's hotel package in Roma.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Thank you Norm for your reply. I was on Carnival's website and I didn't see any information on how to book hotel through Carnival or a list of hotels. Any advise you can give on this process would be very useful. The Shore X just shows transfer to hotel if booked through Carnival.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you Norm for your reply. I was on Carnival's website and I didn't see any information on how to book hotel through Carnival or a list of hotels. Any advise you can give on this process would be very useful. The Shore X just shows transfer to hotel if booked through Carnival.
I'm not familiar with Carnival's web site, but the hotel packages usually show up in a "precruise" or "postcruise" section rather than in the "shore excursions" section of other cruise lines' web sites.

As to booking, most cruise lines treat precruise and postcruise hotel packages as part of the cruise booking so you would have to go through your travel agent unless you booked the cruise directly through the cruise line's web site.

Again, have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

I find that when I book on my own, I get the best deals. I would suggest you go to Fodors.com and to Frommers.com, then tripadvisor.com and any other websites you can find. There are so many on Italian cities. Frommers has fabulous walking tour suggestions for Rome. If you are a walker, this is a large, but walkable city. I would not stay near the Vatican because it is far out. We have stayed on the Via Veneto and near the Plaza de la Republica. Something near the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, or other old area would be convenient. The train station area is not the best.

Venice is smaller and it is magical. I would follow the same websites to make a choice.

For booking hotels, venere.it is good. I think there is a discount code, a SMALL discount!

Don't leave out the option of Priceline because hotels in Italy are $$$..

Have a wonderful time. I wish I were going,too
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey
I find that when I book on my own, I get the best deals. I would suggest you go to Fodors.com and to Frommers.com, then tripadvisor.com and any other websites you can find. There are so many on Italian cities. Frommers has fabulous walking tour suggestions for Rome. If you are a walker, this is a large, but walkable city. I would not stay near the Vatican because it is far out. We have stayed on the Via Veneto and near the Plaza de la Republica. Something near the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, or other old area would be convenient. The train station area is not the best.

Venice is smaller and it is magical. I would follow the same websites to make a choice.

For booking hotels, venere.it is good. I think there is a discount code, a SMALL discount!

Don't leave out the option of Priceline because hotels in Italy are $$$..

Have a wonderful time. I wish I were going,too
Thanks for the input I was looking at a hotel near the Vactian. But I will how look for something near the spots you suggested.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Beginner

After much research, my friend & I booked the Sofitel in Rome (Sep06). Absolutely no regrets; we like "nice" so I would return. Rome hotels are expensive but this was reasonable compared to post-cruise hotels. The Sofitel was a few blocks from the top of the Spanish Steps, near Via Veneto (near the U.S. Embassy); incl breakfast, great location - felt safe. Hotel staff nice.

That being said, the port is about 1 hr from Rome. So booking a cruise-recommended hotel is also ideal cuz they'll transfer you & your luggage to the hotel. Since I didn't use their hotel, I did the trsf fr the ship to the Rome train stn. Then w/ 7 busloads of passengers trying to get a cab all at once - it took hours!

If I had to do it over, I'd check into pre-booking a car transfer from the port to my hotel, probably the Sofitel. OR I would suck it up & book the cruise-hotel. But they charge steep - like $400pp (or $800 for 1st nite) - but prices are half for subsequent nites; after a few days it evens out.

Great way to get around Rome is the Hop-On Hop-Off tours; can buy tix on bus when there (web search). Hopefully your hotel is near a tour stop. Loved the Vatican but it was just a little further from the center (like Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc). Center is nice for wandering around at night.

Have fun! Ciao!

P.S. Don't overpack! You will wear clothes over; ship has a laundromat & dry cleaning. Maybe pack (or buy) a 2nd luggage for purchases. And bring comfy shoes! Ground is mostly stone so harder on the feet.
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Admiral

In Rome I like the Cavelieri Hilton; it overlooks St Peter's. Although walkable to the Vatican, it is easier to take shuttle bus or taxi into center of Rome. I recommend upgrading to Executive Floor as it is a great deal.

For Venice, I recommend Cipriani. You want to make sure your hotel in Venice has a dock for the water taxi or you will be lugging luggage.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Admiral

Thank you for all the help it's very useful.

Marc: I wish the Cipriani was in my price range I'm sad to say that is not the case. But you make a good point about the luggage I'm thinking for my budget I may want to say in Mestre or Lido and just train it into the main part of Venice. This would also put me close to the airport which is important.

AimeeSF:Sofitel in Venice is showing no availiblity for May 12-14, 2008 I'm stilling checking rome. Thank you for the advice about how to get around in Rome and Venice I feel my research is coming along. I don't like to my unprepared in a forgien country. Also my group seems to be depending on me to do the research for them.

I have booked air and miami hotel. Once I book Rome and Venice I'm all set. This trip is the most important I don't overpack. This will be hard of me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Beginner

We stayed in both Rome and Venice pre-cruise May, 2006. After much research we stayed at the Hotel Canada in Rome. It was less than 3 blocks from the main train station (Termini). It was a wonderful hotel with English speaking personnel, great breakfasts included in the price and only 1 block from a metro station from which we were able to easily get to all of the main sights in Rome. In two days we saw the Vatican Museum, St Peter's, The Colosseum, Palatine Hill, The Pantheon, The Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. I'm sure I've forgotten some of the sights but they were all doable using the metro.

When we were ready to head to Venice, we easily rolled our luggage the 3 blocks to the train station. We had pre-booked 1st class tickets on the Eurostar. The train was wonderful and 1st class had plenty of room to store all of our luggage with us and not on the luggage racks at the far ends of the cars. If you book early enough on the internet you can get some great specials.

In Venice we stayed at the Hotel Abbazia which is a converted monastery. Again, the staff spoke English very well, the breakfasts were very good and the hotel was only 100 yards from the train station. The hotel and grounds were beautiful. We never heard any train noise and except for the church bells which ring around 7:30 in the morning - it was a quiet, peaceful stay. There is a boat dock about 50 yards from the hotel where you can catch the local vaporetti or ferries to get anywhere around Venice including St. Mark's Square, the Duomo, the Bridge of Sighs and the surrounding islands of Murano and Burano.

Hope this helps.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

We are staying at the Visconti Palace in November, it looks quite nice, and the price wasn't too bad.
You can get a transfer from the ship to the airport, then take a taxi to your hotel, or try getting a private transfer such as romeinlimo.com will transfer you to your hotel.
Cruisenut (Cher)