Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Italy in August?

I have heard conflicting reports that August is not the time to visit Italy and Europe. Some say nothing is open in August and others say its not crowded (and the best time to go) because that is the vacation month.

I posted the 2 possible itineraries below. Can someone tell me if it is a good time to visit or not? Thanks, Carla

ITINERARY #1
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Naples, Italy
Venice, Italy
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Messina, Sicily, Italy
Barcelona, Spain
Cannes, France
Livorno, Italy

ITINERARY #2
Naples, Italy
Rhodes
Izmir
Istanbul
Athens
Katakolon
Livorno, Italy
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Italy and other areas of the Mediterranean are very hot and very crowded in August and that is the reason I would recommend going in June or September. Look at the brochures of all cruise lines and see their itineraries. They are all going to the same places. These places are also popular with land based holidaymakers so all are very crowded.
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Italy in August?

adias.angel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have heard conflicting reports that August is not the time to visit Italy and Europe. Some say nothing is open in August and others say its not crowded (and the best time to go) because that is the vacation month.

I posted the 2 possible itineraries below. Can someone tell me if it is a good time to visit or not? Thanks, Carla

ITINERARY #1
Naples, Italy
Venice, Italy
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Messina, Sicily, Italy
Barcelona, Spain
Cannes, France
Livorno, Italy

ITINERARY #2
Naples, Italy
Rhodes
Izmir
Istanbul
Athens
Katakolon
Livorno, Italy
I would not do either of these itineraries in the summer because the weather in the Mediterranean tends to be very hot and very humid at that time of year. These itineraries would be great in the spring or in the fall. It's also true that much of Italy, southern France, and probably Greece and Spain do close for the entire month of August for vacation. Most people go either to the mountains or to the beach for that month to escape the heat.

Cruises to northern or western Europe, including the British Isles, Scandanavia, and the Baltic Sea, are a completely different ballgame. The summer is a great time to go there because the weather is much less oppressive.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Although many people in Europe will be on holiday in August (because of school closed) , museums, shops etc in the areas where tourists come will NOT be closed, apart from a long lunchbreak. Of course the shopowners want to make a living too. It still is one of these rumours from the past.

However, since it will be hot, humid and very crowded in many places, it is not a nice time of the year to go on vacation.
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Yeoman

Thank you everyone for your help. Would June be a better time to go? We are stuck going in either June, July or August.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

June is much better, the earlier in that month the better. Also because temperatures might not be that high yet .
(Although it was hot this year...,but at least not that crowded as holidays not have started in Europe.)
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Beginner

We were in Italy on a cruise end of June/beginning of July. The heat was miserable. I have also been to Rome in August. Worst. The sites were open but there were not a lot of people there, everybody we met got pick-pocketed, etc. etc. I would recommend going before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. The sites are fabulous though!!!
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Captain

We are cruising the Freedom on Sept. 10. My guide book (Steve Ricks) shows the Rome temperature range as 62 - 79 for Sept. I thought it would be much warmer, but will be thrilled if it is this cool.

Any thoughts on whether those numbers are correct?

Thanks,
Ga
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think temepratures will be higher and it can be sticky and humid.
You can check the seasonal weather of the past at
http://english.wunderground.com/NORM...239&Units=both
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Admiral

adias.angel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you everyone for your help. Would June be a better time to go? We are stuck going in either June, July or August.
Yes, June definitely is a better time to go to the Mediterranean than August -- and, as others have said, the earlier in June, the better.

It's important to remember that the experience of a cruise to Europe is very different, in many ways, from that of a cruise to the Caribbean. In particular, the major attractions of most islands in the Caribbean are swimming, snorkeling, sailing, diving, and other watersports, though there are also some opportunities for golf and for sightseeing. By contrast, the major attractions of European cities are the art, architecture, cuisine, culture, history, and local specialty products (Belgian lace, Venetian glass, etc.). In most European ports of call, shore excursions depart between 8:00 and 8:30 and return to the ship between 5:30 and 6:00, and with lunch included, because there's so much to see and do. Nonetheless, it's all on land and many of the attractions are NOT air conditioned. Thus, you really will appreciate cooler weather immensely.

Norm.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Magnolia Blossom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are cruising the Freedom on Sept. 10. My guide book (Steve Ricks) shows the Rome temperature range as 62 - 79 for Sept. I thought it would be much warmer, but will be thrilled if it is this cool.

Any thoughts on whether those numbers are correct?
That sounds about right for the range of the daily LOW temperature. Add about thirty degrees to get the corresponding highs. The end of the month is not nearly as hot and humid as the beginning.

Norm.